Sunday, May 9, 2010

Celtic Festival

Yesterday Robert and I happened to go birding in the morning at a park that was hosting a Celtic Festival that started just as we finished our birding. I probably would not have hassled with trying to find parking and all that to attend the festival, but since we were already there, we checked it out for about an hour, which turns out to be a really nice period of time for spontaneously attending an event.

There were a lot of men dressed up in kilts, and they looked good. On an adult man (say, over age 25), I think a kilt looks no more ridiculous than shorts, and a kilt with boots looks distinctly less ridiculous than shorts and flip-flops worn outside of an actual swimming occasion. Several guys were wearing fabulous tall (just under the knee), soft leather boots that I coveted. There were also some women dressed up, but it appeared to be about 10 men for every woman.

And if you might be tempted to giggle at the sight of a "man in a skirt," watching a bunch of manly men throw 22.5 pound hammers for 90 feet will quickly disabuse you of such a notion. It looks something like this.

On our way out of the festival, I was momentarily tempted by the sign at the ice cream stand for "Sally's Silly Strawberry" ice cream, but shouldered on. However, I did encourage Robert to buy some sweets from the "Susan's Shortbread" stand. The shortbread was utterly delicious. (Sorry, Mom - it seems rude to eat your shortbread on Mother's Day weekend and not even share, but I like to support the vendors.)

3 comments:

Tam said...

I like kilts on men. I am even fond of a utilikilt worn casually on the street for any occasion. And I agree, they are especially nice with boots.

mom said...

I'm ok about the shortbread. Ben made a really nice dessert for us last night. A version of strawberry shortcake that also had blackberries in it. Yum.

Sally said...

Tam, I think I've finally gotten over my association of kilts-on-men with my ex-coworker who pretended to be from Scotland but was eventually outed as being from San Antonio. This is a good thing.

Mom, glad you weren't suffering from lack of sweets on Sunday. It's good that my cousin/"brother" had my back on this one.