Sunday, October 12, 2008

Spirituality and Faith

The common finding for those of us who took that strengths test is that we are low on spirituality and faith. Excellent. "Empirical Question" is a reality-based blog, after all.

Tam & I shared low modesty and humility, while rvman & Mom have strengths in this area (if they do say so themselves).

Tam & rvman are low on industry, diligence, and perseverence, while Mom & I are "high on it," according to him. (Wait, that sounds weird...is that like a "worker's high"?)

I am strong on humor and playfulness, which Mom has as a weakness. (Note to self: don't make jokes at Mom's expense. I knew this.)

rvman & I have a deficit in appreciating beauty and excellence, are low on gratitude, and have a thing for judgment and thinking.

Mom & rvman are both into caution, prudence, and discretion. (He noted to me just now: "caution, prudence, and discretion" is this thing's way of saying "anxiety disorder." I was not prudent and cautious enough to make note of my login information for that site to check where I fell on this quality.)

Tam & rvman are forgiving and merciful, and are strong on fairness, equality, and justice.

rvman was too "modest" to admit to his capacity to love and be loved, perhaps?

rvman is questioning what Tam was hiding by naming only 4 strengths & 4 weaknesses - "Is she hiding that #20 [a weakness] is honesty?" (Characteristically, he also points out that this skews the analysis.)

6 comments:

Tam said...

Clearly my #20 was "following directions."

Tam said...

OK, well, apparently I did register, so here are my results:

(1) Curiosity and interest in the world
(2) Capacity to love and be loved
(3) Fairness, equity, and justice
(4) Forgiveness and mercy
(5) Judgment, critical thinking, and open-mindedness

(20) Caution, prudence, and discretion
(21) Modesty and humility
(22) Spirituality, sense of purpose, and faith
(23) Self-control and self-regulation
(24) Industry, diligence, and perseverance.

Sally said...

Ah, so you just used your judgment to leave out #5. Not very prudent, Tam.

Anonymous said...

I took this on my iPhone while on the road, and now that I'm on a computer again (with copy/paste) here are my results :) -

1) Judgment, critical thinking, and open-mindedness
2) Self-control and self-regulation
3) Caution, prudence, and discretion
4) Industry, diligence, and perseverance
5) Curiosity and interest in the world

20) Gratitude
21) Love of learning
22) Kindness and generosity
23) Modesty and humility
24) Spirituality, sense of purpose, and faith

At first I thought it seemed wrong, but actually I guess it's not too far off.

Humor was near the middle for me, as were optimism, fairness, and appreciation of beauty. Honesty, authenticity, and genuineness was #6 (which my lack of humility just can't help but give special recognition to, haha).

cartaufalous said...

curiosity
open-mindedness
integrity
appreciation of beauty and excellence
humor


social intelligence
leadership
forgiveness and mercy
hope
spirituality

Sally said...

Interesting... more curiosity and open-mindedness. Still low spirituality.

I like comparing Jen & Tam on caution, self-control, and industry.

Cartaufalous's integrity and appreciation of beauty/excellence definitely fit with an artisan mentality missing from the rest of us.

Jen, there is always a risk of that "horoscope" thing here, where any set of qualities can be made to sound about right, but at least it's possible to come up with selections that DON'T make any sense at all.