Friday, October 17, 2008

Change of Pace

While Texas is awash in great specialty salsas/picante sauces from the store, many places rely on the national brands, of which Pace is no doubt the king. (I grew up on Pace Medium and still eat it. And of course, Pace salsa is a Texas product.) Recently, we bought a new flavor: Pace Triple Pepper Salsa made with green chile, serrano, and guajillo peppers. It's pretty fantastic. I've been eating it quite a bit this week on egg tacos. (And no, I am not being paid to shill for Pace on this blog to my 6.3 readers. I just like the product.)

I would also like to take this opportunity to inform/remind you of the key to an excellent egg taco: slightly crunchy flour tortillas. This keeps the texture of the entire taco from being too soft. (I've known RB to do this, and Robert does it consistently; maybe it's a Texas thing?)

Put the tortillas on an ungreased skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. The tortilla will get crunchy after a couple of minutes - mine usually start puffing up when they are getting ready to flip, but I don't know that this is reliable. (If you need to thaw frozen tortillas, layer them with paper towel in the microwave and heat up for about 10 or 15 seconds per tortilla, maybe less if you have a bunch. It doesn't take long.)

Restaurants (except for Whataburger, of all places) tend to serve you soft flour tortillas for egg tacos and they're never as good as what we can make at home for a fraction of the cost and much more healthfully. I recommend using Morningstar Farms faux-sausage patties with scrambled egg, cheese, and salsa. Yum.

4 comments:

rvman said...

I learned to crisp the tortilla at as a Whataburger minion. I don't know if it is a "Texas" thing or just a "Whataburger" thing. Most restaurants, even here, don't do it. (I can see why, someone not expecting it could think "Dried out and Old" rather than "Nicely crisped and warm".)

Anonymous said...

Breakfast burrito sounded so good we had to make them this weekend. :)

Sally said...

Jen, excellent - I hope you enjoyed them. I had one for breakfast today myself.

Anonymous said...

Dad and I eat breakfast burritos often. They really are good and even better when the tortilla is crisped up.