Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Another Semester

UPDATE: I am registered for the two classes and got one professor to agree to write me recommendation letters (2 to go).

The last couple of weeks have been so busy with grad school applications, organic food consumer interviews, and differential equations that I totally forgot about registering for classes for the spring semester until I checked my school email. Every semester, I have to get paperwork signed by the departments I want to take classes in and file it with the university so that I can enroll. I've usually been good at getting this done in advance so that I can sign up for courses at the earliest moment, and since I have graduate student status, I have first pick.

I hope to get my paperwork signed and filed tomorrow so that I will be able to sign up for classes in the next couple of days. I do not think it's likely that my classes will fill before I have the opportunity to enroll, but technically, it could happen.

I woke up at about 3:00 this morning with this semi-panicked feeling of "God, what if I have screwed up and am not able to enroll in the classes I want to take?" To calm myself down and prepare for this eventuality, I thought about all the advantages of not taking any classes in the spring. I was able to then go back to sleep and dream some more about cycloids. (I know. Seriously. This is the second time in a week.)

But I was so effective with these arguments that I woke up this morning thinking, "Screw it, I don't want to take these classes after all! Think of all the other more fun stuff I could be doing!" And that's not necessarily a good feeling to have. So to counteract my night-time self-persuasion somewhat, here are some reasons I should take the classes after all:

(1) 2nd semester probability & statistics. This is the continuation of the course I took, and killed, last semester. It's taught by the same professor, who while not exactly Dr. Charisma, is a straightforward, understandable teacher who gives a lot of examples and is a lot more effective than the book in making me figure this stuff out. (Hmm...we'll probably even be using the same book, which would be nice.) I don't expect the class to be very hard, given regular class attendance and my usual level of effort. Stat is hugely useful, and the more classes I take, the better off I'll be, either as grad school preparation or job knowledge.

(2) Econometrics. This is a rotating course in the "Topics in Economics" sequence. I cannot tell the level of math recommended/required as a prerequisite because the online system reports the prereqs for the "Topics in Economics" courses as a whole, and they do not usually have special math prereqs for classes like Economics of Sports or Urban Economics. It's not that I'm worried about being insufficiently mathed-up for the class (unlike, e.g., Rice's econometrics class, cross-listed with the stat department, which required a huge amount of math, was just murderously hard and that I did not take) but I am curious about what level it will be taught at.

I've been slowly moving toward the conclusion that applied psychologists are at a disadvantage by not being up on econometric techniques, so I think the class will be useful from that perspective and just generally interesting. I sort of view this class in the opposite way I do an undergraduate marketing research class (that I might have to kill myself before being forced to take; can you just imagine me being in a group project with a bunch of kids after 10+ years of professional experience?!): even if the class is taught at a lower level than I could handle, since I have zero previous exposure to the material, I feel very open to taking from it what I can. And this may be my last chance to take an econometrics class ever...or the last chance before taking a required course at the PhD level, for which any additional preparation will be helpful.

I have also already lined up a personal tutor with 5 semesters of PhD-level econometrics under his belt, so the possibility of not doing very well in the class is pretty remote.

(3) Calc 3. I am not actually planning on taking this class, but I am getting permission to do so in the event one of the other two classes fills up. I could take it back-to-back with the stat class, so it would be convenient. As I've said before, I've already taken the class and I got an A, but it was a dozen years ago.

Both classes are mid to late afternoons on different days, so it will mean being on campus 4 days a week (not my favorite). But I suspect I will be up there anyway for my part-time job as a research assistant in the marketing department.

I have to keep reminding myself that even though right now, all that sounds good to me is a break from the crush of deadlines, by the time classes start in the fall, I will be done with my grad school applications and entering the dreaded Seemingly Infinite Wait to hear back from the programs. And even once I hear and make my decision, I will enter a period of Waiting to Move to North Carolina (knock wood). Having things to keep me busy will probably be a good idea. But man, right now, I just want to sleep for about two weeks, a deep dead sleep with no dreaming of cycloids or anything else whatsoever.

But I finally got my information organized to give the professors who will (I hope agree to) write my recommendations. If I did not even already know myself, and only had access to the information in the file - statement of purpose, c.v./resume, writing samples (I included my organic paper lit review, my Colorado State study plan, and an essay exam from my attitude change class), transcripts, GRE scores - I would be impressed/intimidated enough as to be really hoping this person is not applying to the same programs I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least gas prices are coming down so your 4 day a week commute won't be quite so expensive.

Tam said...

At least at my school, upper division courses don't usually fill up early. If anything they are in danger of being cancelled because nobody signs up. I don't know how different your school is, but I think you'll be all right.

I'm not surprised that your cv, etc., fills even you with awe and potential dread. You are so kick-ass.