Wednesday, February 14, 2007

In Which Sally Does Not Steal

I was home sick from work today and when there was a knock on the door, I was not actually asleep (I wish), but completely tired and a little fuzzy from the pain meds I’m taking. It was a UPS guy (and yes, he was young and cute, but I was sufficiently out of it that I did not check to see if he was wearing shorts despite the cool weather – remember, Austin’s stores stock more sandals than normal shoes all year long) with a package that I signed for, briefly wondered what Robert had bought from eBags, and then realized that the address was for the new apartment complex next door. I rushed to the end of the walkway to call him back, but of course by that time, the guy had run to the edge and jumped over while his truck below opened up the hidden door on top to allow him to fall straight into his seat (with some proprietary cushioning technology to protect him) and then started driving them both away as soon as the guy’s ass made contact, so I was too late. When Robert got home, he drove the package over to the other complex’s office, where it appears the intended recipient had already checked in worried about a package that hadn’t arrived. I hope that she bought her significant other something really spectacular and that will make a very good impression tonight.

Or perhaps, like me, she takes that whole “you can’t love someone else until you love yourself” thing seriously in a commercial sort of way and bought herself something special. Last night, I ordered a little Canon digital camera from Amazon that I’m very excited about. (So it’s too late to tell me I should have bought a different kind; don’t harsh my mellow, man.) (I swear, I was not influenced by the cute red case because I didn’t even know about it until it was featured alongside the memory card I picked out.) Its major disadvantage is that it has a somewhat slow shutter speed, so I am going to be limiting my sport photography to turtle and/or snail races and you all will have to forgo the pleasure of seeing mid-binky bunny shots unless I manage to figure out how to use the video recording thing and get extremely lucky. Last night’s (unfortunate) rabbit photo op involved Leo, who, having pulled some duct tape loose from underneath one of the overlapping rugs that cover the entirety of the floor in their room, was munching away like crazy. This seemed freaky and disturbing, but the constituent parts of duct tape are less different from the Petromalt hairball preventative gel that the rabbits love to eat than you might think. Clearly, this was a result of his body’s need for petroleum byproducts… or just further evidence that my mini rexes are primarily stomach. The fact that both rabbits have refused to eat a strawberry on two different occasions seems increasingly bizarre, the more strange, non-food items I see them chow down on.

When Robert picked up my pain medication on his way home (red roses and a bottle of Darvocet, a classic combination), he saw that the Albertson’s across the street from my old apartment is going out of business, as so many Albertson’s in the Austin area have done in the past year. I was completely loyal to that Albertson’s store for a couple of years, but I can see that a grocery really can’t thrive with a business model that is based on attracting customers who have anxiety about the totally crazy-dangerous drivers in the HEB/Blockbuster parking lot on the other side of the street and who have such dysfunctional levels of new-place avoidance that they will continue to shop there even when know that another store is better. (Perhaps one aspect of my criticism of the Theory of Planned Behavior model I discussed yesterday is completely based on the fact that I personally am insane. Hmm.) I mean, the new Whole Foods downtown has a parking garage that is so much like that of a busy hospital that I can’t stand to go there, but they seem to be doing a fine bit of business. These days, Robert and I shop at a combination of the new Wal-Mart across the street (that was featured in the Economist when it opened, which was a kind of weird experience), the HEB down the street, the Central Market, and the farmer’s market. There is not a typical mid-level grocery store in the bunch. This sort of shopping pattern is right in line with the “postmodern” consumer who defies simplistic segmentation schemes. I am so trendy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to go to that Albertsons when I lived down there because that HEB made me check my backpack. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's bad enough to wait in line once to buy your stuff. When in addition you have to wait in line to drop off your backpack and then again to pick up your backpack, and you want a backpack so it's easier to carry more groceries home, that's annoying.

The poor ignorant little sackers at Albertsons used to volunteer so enthusiastically to help me out with my groceries that I had to reassure them repeatedly that I did not have a car and would be walking the groceries home, about a mile and a half away, and really I was totally prepared for this and it was okay.

Sally said...

The checkers at that Albertsons certainly are ignorant. Being presented with a coupon can really flummox them. And management showed their incompetence by not programming any of their bonus buy specials, etc., into their computer system, so the checker had to correctly execute a series of about 7 different instructions to ring something up at the correct price. This worked about as efficiently as you would expect.

rvman said...

My memory is that they had one good checker. She knew how to do their weird stuff pretty well. Too bad she reminded one of a slightly peeved wolverine in her manner. I don't expect smiles from the cashiers, but now I know how people who I looked at before I got my glasses felt. "I'm sorry, can I buy this jar of chicken base, please?"