Sunday, May 4, 2014

So Where Are the May Flowers?

Wildflowers may still not have made their appearance, but I have been seeing robins in the residential neighborhood around my work this week.  Spring is finally within our grasp!

Thursday -- 5/1/14

I developed this outfit around the idea that it would be great to wear my leopard smoking flats again.  (I wore a pair of my all-weather Lands End shoes to commute to/from work to spare these delicate hair shoes from the elements.)  Very subtle pattern mixing of leopard print with black-on-black striped pants...and of course the claw/fang necklace.


I then realized that I was dressing too much like it is not still kind of wintery outside and added this jacket that I had bought over the weekend at Goodwill.


*Black 3/4 length sleeve sweater/knit top (thrifted; Liz Claiborne)
Black striped pants (thrifted)
Leopard smoking slippers by Clarks
*Brown and black jacket (thrifted--originally part of a 3 piece suit according to the tags but I definitely prefer the idea of wearing this as a separate and not part of a matching suit)
Black fang/claw necklace from Outfit Additions

Friday -- 5/2/14

I picked the top of this outfit with the plan to test run casual Friday denim by wearing a denim skirt, but I sort of chickened out at the last minute as I realized that I was going to be in a meeting with our CEO.  I'm still not sure about my comfort level with wearing denim to work, and this did not seem like the right time to try it.  I substituted my 88 cent navy pants at the last minute and felt perfectly reasonable.  (I mean, it's not like my jeans are significantly, if at all, more comfortable than these pants anyway; I just like the idea of wearing denim on at least some Fridays to mix things up and to have a subtly different vibe on Fridays.)

It only rained a bit on Friday -- whoo -- but I was still glad to have worn my Lands End mocs to work so I didn't have to get my fabric shoes damp in the parking lot.  Anyway, even when it hasn't been raining, it's probably good to spare my nice and somewhat delicate shoes from the dirt, gravel, and general nastiness of the parking lot.  (I park a bit far from the building, and one of my most common spots is easier to get in and out of if I walk on the dirt and grass of the raised curb area.)


Blue pullover sweater (thrifted)
Blue and green floral scarf from Target
88 cent navy pants (thrifted)
Navy bowtie flats by Rocket Dog

Oh, and Friday night, I totally crashed, exhausted.  Unfortunately I also didn't drink enough at work or after coming home (I had made tea but was almost too tired to remember to drink it) so I went to bed dehydrated and woke up in the middle of the night with the grandfather of all calf cramps.  It took me most of Saturday before I could walk normally on that leg because it was so stiff and sore.

Saturday -- 5/3/14

A high of 60 degrees and sunny weather means being prepared for mid-70s temperatures inside the apartment in the afternoon, so I thought it was a good opportunity to pull out the Alice t-shirt...which has that ridiculously low V neck that shows like the upper half of my bra unless I wear something under it.  Today I tried layering with a camisole -- leopard print, of course.  It was quite comfy.  I was actually feeling pretty crappy for most of the morning and afternoon -- tired, achy, sleepy, with a headache and stomach ache -- and I kept varying between feeling too hot and too cold.  At one point, it was 75 degrees and I was wearing a wool hoodie over this outfit and still shivering as I sat on my chair with a heating pad on my belly and a cold headache pad on my forehead.  I had spent some time going over my insurance and retirement investment options from work with Robert in the morning, and that had pretty much did me in energy-wise.  A lot of people were sick during the last half of this past workweek, so perhaps I picked something up. 

In any event, not fun, but I started feeling a lot better in the evening.  I had planned to watch Monsters University, which arrived from Netflix today, but instead I did a couple of hand-sewing projects, including shortening a pair of pants using a hand-sewn blind hem (a little time consuming but so easy), played Words with Friends against my mom, played Bejeweled Blitz, and, well, wrote two blog posts (including this one that I will put up tomorrow--Sunday).  I'm still really excited about Monsters University, though.


Alice in Wonderland t-shirt
*Grey leopard print camisole from Kohl's
Trouser jeans (thrifted)
Grey Skechers
Mixed stone necklace from Outfit Additions

1 comment:

mom said...

I have been known to wear weather proof shoes and change into different shoes once I got to work.