Sunday, May 18, 2014

L-R-G

This past couple weeks, with the coming of the warm(er) spring weather, has been hell on my allergies, and I've just been wiped out.  There's been a nice Matisse exhibit in town, and today is the last day of the show, but there is just no way I can do it.  I get tired just going up or down the flight of stairs in the condo so the idea of milling around at an art exhibit is very unappealing.

I used my nasal rinse last night and noticed that it did not give me that immediate feeling of being flushed out that I usually get.  I think I need to start doing it every day in order to get some relief.

So my life has been:  Schlepp my tired ass to work and back, crash onto my comfy chair, sleep like the dead for not nearly long enough, whine to myself about having to get up early for work, repeat.  Last week was particularly tough because I woke up earlier than usual for 3 days without getting to bed any earlier.  It's surprising how even 15 minutes can make such a difference.

It sucks but fortunately I had gone into my new job with the expectation that I would be exhausted and pretty much worthless for all other things for about the first 6 months--that's just a trade-off I knew I was going to have to make as I adjusted to the rhythms of getting up early and going somewhere and being "on" for hour after hour and not getting enough sleep--so I'm not worried or unhappy or feeling cheated or anything.  (I typically get over 7 hours of sleep, but this isn't a good substitute for the luxurious 8-10 hours of sleep I used to get every single night.  And unhappily for me, it's not a simple matter of going to bed earlier.  Even if I was willing to cut my evenings short enough to be in bed that early, I can't really make myself fall asleep at that time.  My sleep cycle easily adjusts to a late bedtime, but I'm not successful forcing myself into an early bedtime.)

The possibility that kind of scares me is that I might still be knocked out all the time even after that 6 month period is over.  I hope it doesn't come to that.

Note: Being exhausted is the aspect of my current state that is placing the most serious limitations on my activity level, but do not fear--I am also on Day 3 of massive sinus headache and have other annoying symptoms like sore throat/ears/teeth and all the other goodies that come along with an allergy attack.  I also think I would feel crappy even if I didn't have a job, but the relatively short sleep and forced daily activity (such as sitting in front of a computer all day is) is just amplifying it.

3 comments:

jen said...

Hope you feel better soon.

Sally said...

Thanks! I'm already doing better since I've done my nasal rinse regularly for a couple days, am back on my flaxseed oil breakfast, and have rebooted my exercise program. I hope things keep improving.

mom said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Hope it continues to get even better!