Friday, June 24, 2011

Finishing Up Refashions

One of my goals for the move is to not bring my stash of old t-shirts and stuff with me to Snow City.  It's not like I'm going to have much time to spend sewing while in my PhD program so it's sort of pointless to bring it with me.  Yesterday morning, I completed two relatively easy projects.

I made the world's simplest short-sleeved jacket to wear over sleeveless shirts.  I loved the blue-red color of the shirt but it was too short to wear by itself.  I just cut the t-shirt down the center and hemmed the two exposed edges.  I like the color-blocking effect of wearing it over another single-color shirt (here, a blue shirt I just happened to already be wearing).  I think I am going to leave it very plain, but I might want to do something to hold the two sides together at the top (like a sweater-clip type thing) if it doesn't want to lie flat on its own.  (I realize the red shirt looks no shorter than the blue shirt so what the hell, right?  But what happens when a shirt is cut into a "jacket" is that it shifts forward a bit, so it is longer in the front and shorter in the back than when it was a t-shirt.)



I also turned a big boxy t-shirt I purchased on our trip to the Outer Banks into a Sally-sized t-shirt using my usual methods.  I surprised myself by how quickly I did it and by how everything went nearly-perfectly in its execution.  (It was not absolutely perfect, so God need not be offended.)  Even setting in the sleeves worked like a dream. 


No comments: