Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Making a Stranger's Day

It's my understanding that all of the programs I applied to (and most PhD programs in my two fields) have made their first-round offers by now, and it's just a matter of applicants making decisions, accepting/declining offers, and waiting to see if they move off wait-lists.  I am wait-listed at 5 programs (4 marketing, 1 psychology).  (I also have 3 programs - 2 psychology, 1 marketing - where I am 99% confident I am being rejected.)

Good news - I have received my official acceptance offer (with funding info - $25,000 per year) from the graduate school at University of Snow, so I emailed the psychology program from which I've been holding an offer to decline admission to their program.  This is a very good program, and I know that there are a couple people who post to the grad cafe psych forum who have been wait-listed there.  My decision is going to make somebody very, very happy.  I also have an acceptance from the U. of Rain marketing program that I have not yet declined (it's my current back-up in case I visit Snow City and decide I don't want to attend the program).

Things are looking good with my thesis.  I spoke to my advisor today about timing, and we decided that I will send him my draft of the introduction, method, and results section before my visit at U. of Snow.  I am finished with the method and am 90% finished with the results.  So it's mostly a matter of getting my literature review and overview of my study written up.  The lit review is something that I could work on practically forever, so it's good to have a deadline in place to work toward.

I've really spent less time on schoolwork this semester than I have all the others ones of the program.  And fortunately, this has not come at the cost that I am now scrambling/praying to finish my thesis to graduate in May or making plans to graduate in August.  I truly believe that I am on schedule.  Not having classes this semester has been great.  It's been nice to not be quite as busy as I was before.  I guess this is the calm before the PhD (snow?) storm.

2 comments:

Tam said...

It's really nice to think about some stranger out there moving off the wait list and being accepted at what is probably their dream school. That's awesome.

mom said...

Good news on all fronts. Glad to hear that your thesis is progressing well. And, what a nice offer from U of Snow! Congrats!