Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Happy Result, p < .05

My advisor and I are pumped today because after our final round of data collection for our second study, we have the desired statistically significant three-way interaction and statistically significant mediation to follow-up the findings from the first study. (This does not count the first, first study with the failed manipulation that I can find no evidence of having blogged about before.)

I will be presenting results to the social psychology group in two weeks, then to the entirety of the department faculty and grad student body about two weeks after that, and it's nice to (1) have a coherent set of experiments completed and the data analyzed and (2) have "good" results with a story to tell rather than "I tried this, then I tried this, and nothing seemed to really work."

Even better is that I am really interested in the research, and that there are a bazillion different things that I can do to continue in this line (including revisiting the failed early study with the manipulation that is now working), so it's easy to see how these two experiments serve as a stepping stone for the thesis. I very much like how this research balances the social and the cognitive (and the meta-cognitive) aspects of social cognition.

I really needed this victory to energize me toward the next 7 weeks of 70 hour work weeks.

2 comments:

Tam said...

Wonderful! I'm really happy for you.

mom said...

That's so great, Sally!