Friday, January 29, 2010

Not in Austin Anymore

Some evidence:

1) I went to Wal-Mart to buy a pair of flip flops for wearing in the shower. They had one style available for women (with an annoying plastic flower on the top) and none for men. I went to Target, where they had one style for men (which was about $20) and a few styles for women, only one of which was plastic and cheap (which I bought). Granted, it is winter, but I'm used to flip flops being available year-round. I have also seen one person wearing flip flips since about November - a woman wearing socks and flip flops at the grocery store. (Seeing people in slippers at the gas station is, however, more common than in Austin, but I think that's in part due to the different demographics.)

2) We are under a Winter Storm Warning with the expectation of 8-11 inches of snow accumulation tonight into tomorrow in the Triad (i.e. here) and 5-10 inches of snow and sleet accumulation in the Triangle (i.e. where Robert lives, about 2 hours east). I have been invited to a dinner party tomorrow night but there is no way I am braving (read: stupidly risking) the roads. It's expected to remain below freezing until Monday afternoon. It appears that I will be trying out the bus to and from school next week.

3) I drove to the mall last weekend to buy running shoes at a sporting goods store next to the mall. I had been sort of resistant for several reasons, one of which was that it is on the whole other side of town. I drove surface streets for all of about 10 minutes and I was there. I really have not yet grasped how small this town is and how light the traffic is.

2 comments:

rvman said...

I will be skidding into my first day of work on Monday, I expect. I have no idea what happens if they close for the day.

mom said...

We have about 6 inches of snow and it's still snowing. Under the snow is about 1/2 inch of ice. We got lucky that there wasn't more ice. We have power. Good luck with your snow storm and have fun if you can.