Wednesday, January 13, 2010

1st Semester Wrap Up & 2nd Semester Intro

I got all A's for the first semester (true A's in a system with +/- grades for all but A+ so I mean A's and not A-'s). I have not seen my final exams for two of the courses (and don't know whether I will) but I got a 95/104 on my stats final for a cumulative 96 for the course.

I also got my evaluations from the students in my lab. For "overall rating of the lab instructor," I got an average of 4.18 out of 5 points. I do not have a context for interpreting this score other than that it falls between "good" and "very good" on the scale - I have no clue what typical ratings look like in our department or at our university, particularly for TAs.

My first semester experiment did indeed turn out not to have worked, though this is a common outcome in experimental research even when the phenomenon does actually exist - it can be a bear to get the manipulations to work sayeth the professors in my research group - so it is not a dead end. I plan to try the idea out again with a different method for manipulating ego depletion. We'll see how it goes.

This semester, I am taking developmental psychology, personality psychology, and multivariate statistics. I am also continuing my thesis course (same advisor) and TAing for the undergraduate (regression-based) stats course (new instructor). I have not taken a course in either developmental or personality, so those courses should be interesting and challenging.

The second year students are not taking any classes this semester; it's all thesis, all the time for them. Several of my cohort have said that they are envious of them, but I'm not entirely sure I am. Writing the thesis is unlikely to be any easier than taking classes.

4 comments:

rvman said...

You know my opinion on the "research only vs. classes" issue. At least the semesters I took classes I got something done, though.

mom said...

Good work for your first sememster. I'm sure you will keep the momentum going for the second sememster.

Jen M. said...

Congrats on your A's and good luck with this semester!

Tam said...

Congrats on the first semester. I'm envious of your seminars, but only if I could skip the hard work parts and just do a little reading and listen to the conversations. In all of my copious spare time.

I think for you "all thesis all the time" might actually be easier than classes, except that you might feel even more that you were never actually done with your allotted work for the day/week/month/lifetime.