Thursday, November 12, 2009

Horizontal

45 degrees and raining isn't so bad, except for the wind gusts that make the rain hit you horizontally. It's a bit hard to keep dry under such conditions, though I found that the rain pants I bought for our pelagic trip in Washington state (I think) worked very well this morning in conjunction with my rather impervious Lands End mocs. Approximately 85% of female students on campus were wearing tall rain boots with the jeans tucked into them, which is a very practical approach given the poor drainage situation.

I've enjoyed watching the leaves changing colors, then falling. Different kinds of trees go through their cycle at different times, so when one set goes all brown and boring, another set gets beautiful. This is a phenomenon well-known to people who live north of Austin, but it's been a while since I've experienced it myself. The currently stunning trees are ones with still a bit of green, a bit of yellow, and a lot of orange and red. There are some bushes with similar coloration that feature dark purple berries. There is a fairly long row of the trees along the street approaching campus that I haven't been able to photograph with the continual rain situation. From a distance, they sort of look like they're aflame, even with the dismal greyness of the scene.

2 comments:

rvman said...

Yes, we bought the thin plastic pants for the pelagic in Washington. We bought a whole bunch of stuff (long johns, wool socks, etc.) which we didn't use. We then left a lot of them behind on our pelagic out of Monterey, and probably needed them.

Austin is so fall-color resistant that even its most prevalent oaks tree don't put on a show - the scrubby oaks around Balcones turn a particularly drab shade of brown, and the live oak is an evergreen.

Sally said...

I'm pretty sure at least some of the gorgeous red trees are red maples and I think others are ash trees. I haven't made any headway on figuring out the tree/bush with berries on it.