Friday, May 22, 2009

When Beasts Attack

The other morning I discovered that my back was covered in scratches - some surface scrapes, some gouges, and a set of long, impressive scratches that had drawn blood and beaded up. After a mental check that I had not likely woken up in a fantasy universe in which I had a dream about being attacked by a cat only to find that my injuries were real (I had not dreamed about any kind of animal or assailant), I was pretty confused about where they came from. Robert suggested I had done it to myself overnight. OK, that did seem plausible in a sense, but (1) am I really capable of doing this sort of damage to myself without noticing (esp. since I am a very light sleeper and did not sleep well at all the previous night), (2) I wasn't really able to reach some of those scratches easily or at all, and (3) since I have fairly blunt fingernails and not claws, how did I mimic an angry beast strike? It was also kind of odd that there weren't visible scratch marks anywhere else.

So I did what anyone would do. I scraped at my back and waited to see what would happen.

Although I did not draw blood, I did replicate some of the medium-damage scratches. It seemed in retrospect like it should have hurt more than it did, given the amount of injury I had done. I mean, wow, I wouldn't normally scratch myself like that. Oh...duh. When a person is taking moderately serious pain killers, they don't feel the amount of pain they otherwise might. And I remembered that one of the side effects of these pain killers is my skin feeling really itchy and that I had not applied lotion the previous night, which would have made me itchy anyway. Over the next couple of hours, I kept finding myself starting to scratch various parts of my body, only noticing it, I believe, because I was sort of on the look-out for this kind of behavior.

Sometimes the beast that attacks is the beast within. Etc.

I wonder if this will leave scars.

3 comments:

Tam said...

Maybe psychological scars...you crazy beast-woman, you.

mom said...

At least you figured out what happened. I was beginning to think it was the beginning of some paranormal experience that would end up as a plot for Ghost Whisperer.

Sally said...

Tam, yeah, if we start counting psychological scars, I'm screwed already.

Mom, hmmm...I could always use this as the opening scene of one of my many unwritten SF/fantasy novels, this time a story about a crazy beast-woman.