Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Lucky Hair

Just got back from getting a haircut preparatory to the conference in Washington, D.C. this week. I had grown my hair out over this past semester but:

(1) it was getting really wild,
(2) my usual ponytail style is probably not what I'm looking for at a business conference (a sleek ponytail can look fine, but my hair doesn't do sleek),
(3) it takes too long to wash and to dry (basically, I put it in a ponytail when I get out of the shower and it still isn't dry by evening),
(4) it's summer and time for something cooler (even the ponytail drapes down too far and feels hot).

I walked in with my hair mostly air-dried (and hence huge and sort of wavy). My hairdresser went through the usual comments:

HD: "You really have a lot of hair."
Me: "Yeah. It's pretty crazy."

HD: "Is this your natural color?"
Me: "Yes...well, it gets a little lighter like this when I've spent time in the sun."
HD: "It has great highlights. Women spend a lot of money, and they still don't get hair like this."
Me: "I guess I'm lucky in that way."

I'm now back to my traditional chin-length hair. My head feels significantly lighter now.

In other "lucky"-ish news, I found a Kohls gift card I had semi-forgotten about, so I might be able to get a new pair of pants and/or skirt to match the black suit jacket and two nice sleeveless shirts I found in my closet and not have to pay much of anything out of pocket.

And now, back to scripting my presentation. Blah!

No comments: