Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ambiguity

I found the title of the blog post on Wardrobe Refashion "Resigning - For Life" sad and confusing until I realized she meant "signing up for WR again, this time for life" (the options for signing up appear to be 2, 4, or 6 months, or for life) and not, you know, resigning. I thought, Man, she must really not like making her own clothes, buying from thrift shops, and recycling clothes if she is announcing that she is out of this game forever. What would prompt such a complete repudiation of the WR ideals?

This is not quite up there with one of my favorite bits of ambiguity, though. A gazillions years ago on one of those crime TV shows, the episode opened with a view of some letters on a glass door, seen from the backwards view. It had a person's name and then the letters THERAPIST, which I parsed at first as "The Rapist." OK, the guy is a rapist - there are often rapists on crime TV shows - but he has an office for it?!

(I just checked to see whether therapist.com is a valid web site, and sadly, yes. Ah, I assumed it would be about psychotherapy, but instead it's physical therapy. At least this means they probably do not offer advice for rape victims.)

And yes, I am one of those people who see the letters NOWHERE as indicating "nowhere" and not "now here" so it's not that I am just quick to add breaks in the letters to create multiple words. Apparently that occurs when it results in the most depressing or pessimistic of my choices.

1 comment:

rvman said...

Ambiguous word breaks are the bane of the internet.