Thursday, April 23, 2009

Maybe Not Even 50 British Actors

After finishing watching Longitude last night, and the "Midsomer Murders: The Fisher King" episode tonight, I was so overwhelmed with the all the familiar actors that I compiled a list of the ones I recognized.

Longitude (2000)

* A random dude in a wig = Brutus from "Rome"

* The astronomer Dr Bliss = the newsreader from "Rome" / a doctor from "Midsomer Murders" / Harkonnen from Dune / a monk from "Cadfael" / an officer from "Horatio Hornblower"

* The Reverend Maskelyne = an officer from "Horatio Hornblower" / a character (don't remember which) from "Inspector Lynley" / St. John from Jane Eyre

* Lord Sandwich = Bill Nighy (from e.g. Hot Fuzz)

* Irwin = Lord Percy from "Black Adder"

* Obviously Jeremy Irons was in this movie, but I don't quite think that actors so easily recognizable from Hollywood careers count

"Midsomer Murders: The Fisher King" (2004)

* Gareth Heldman = Desmond from "Lost" / a character from "Sherlock Holmes"

* Dr Lavery = the head monk from "Cadfael" / the French guy who was murdered in the locked room mystery on "Jonathan Creek" / a police officer from "Prime Suspect"

* David = the King from Longitude [YES! Back-to-back programs]

No doubt these actors were in yet other programs that I have seen, but didn't recognize them at the time.

Stay tuned for more 50 British Actor updates. Who will show up next? Any bets? My money is on Julius Caesar from "Rome" - I've seen him already in "Sherlock Holmes" and a film in the last couple of months; perhaps he will grace an episode of "Midsomer Murders" with his presence.

You know, apparently, I watch a good deal of British television.

1 comment:

mom said...

The worst part of the whole there are only 50 British actors is that I am not familiar enough with the actors' names to remember who they are. "That guy/gal looks so familiar. What did we see him/her in before?" to the point that it sometimes distracts me from the movie.