Friday, April 3, 2009

Closet Cleaning

This morning, I went through my clothes closet and put a bunch of stuff away to take to Goodwill. I still have a lot more to look at (shoes, both dressers, coat closet) but at least this was a start. Knowing that I'm leaving Austin this summer does give additional motivation to getting rid of things, since the relevant issue is not simply "do I want to keep this (given that I have to store it)" but "do I want to move this halfway across the country." Because I am well-aware that I am only able to eliminate a certain (too low) percentage of my stuff at a given time, I will be going through everything at least one more time prior to packing. I still have way too many clothes. I cannot hope that I will fix that problem entirely, but would like to get it down to the range of just too many and not way too many by the time I move.

5 Wal-Mart shopping bags of clothes may not seem like a lot, and unfortunately it did not make a noticeable difference to the huge quantity in the closet, but it does probably amount to one box that won't be going with me to NC.

Goodwill, take me away...

3 comments:

mom said...

And if you go through your closet again before you move there's another box that you won't be moving. It all adds up.

rvman said...

I just don't buy any new clothes except to replace those which have worn out. I, however, have a very small wardrobe, even by a man's standards - by the end of two weeks I would be out of most things other than shirts, shoes, and belts. I could probably pack all of my clothes in the suitcases we currently own.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for me to do a sweep of my footlocker, though - it is where I keep all of my surplus computer equipment, and is a tangled mass of cords and circuits.

Tam said...

According to you, Sally, I don't own many clothes, but I'm still continually annoyed by how many I DO have. I think I don't shop selectively enough or something.