Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Too Many Words About Me

I just now finished my outline for my statement of purpose for my #1 program. The outline alone is 1,077 words.

They did not specify a length limit, but the Patricia Keith-Spiegel book recommends in that case to stick to 1,000 - 1,500 words as a maximum for the essay.

Yikes. OK, well, at least I know I won't have difficulty finding enough to say. Fortunately, I can put/leave some of the stuff in my c.v. and elaborate on the highlights and the qualitative aspects in my essay.

I took the advice of the excellent book Graduate Admission Essays and recalculated my Rice GPA to find if a favorable trend exists; I decided to see what it looks like if I separate out my not-so-great freshman year. I was pleasantly surprised: Freshman year = 3.0. Sophomore - senior years combined = 3.9. And my GPA from Texas State is 4.0 and holding steady (so far, diff e is not kicking my ass, but it's early days, of course). Those are some fine, fine numbers.

I hope my GRE numbers are fine also. Knock wood, I should get my score report this week.

No comments: