Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day Birding

Robert and I birded two ponds/small lakes southeast of Austin (about 45 minutes from our apartment) on Monday from about 10:00 - 12:30. Our goal was to see a wood stork, which had been reported in the area and is a common "post-breeding dispersal" bird that moves outside of its usual range (east of Austin) at this time of year.

Our list:

White-eyed vireo
American crow
Caracara
Turkey vulture
Black vulture
Killdeer
Pectoral sandpiper
Spotted sandpiper
Peep species (one of three tiny and extremely similar looking sandpipers that I usually don't bother trying to identify)
American coot
Blue-winged teal
Cinnamon teal (I love this bird)
Great egret
Snowy egret
Great blue heron
Little blue heron
Roseate spoonbill (about 10 birds total, seen in both places)
White ibis (2 adults, 1 immature)
WOOD STORK

We saw at least 25 wood storks - I counted 25 at once in the spotting scope.

Wood stork is #448 on my ABA area life list.

(Photos from the web)

Cinnamon teal - our view was not great due to the heat distortion:



Roseate spoonbill - I had not seen these birds away from the coast - the ones we saw were hunched over and eating in the water the entire time:



Wood stork - they were hanging out in and under a large tree (the only nearby shade) with a lot of egrets, vultures, and the spoonbills - if they had the brains to think it, they would have been laughing at us standing in the hot sun watching them:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had a great day birding!! A life bird is always exciting.

Our closest brush to nature was the gopher making tunnels in our new sod on Monday. He's gone now, though, thanks to Uncle Jim and his amazing gopher traps. However, the new sod doesn't look so great.

Sally said...

Mom, if it's not the moles, it's the gophers with you guys. I still remember very well that nutria you had back there, too (though he did not appear to be a destructo-creature).

Anonymous said...

Victory!

Someone once warned me that if I put goldfish in the little concrete pond thingy in my backyard, then herons might come and eat them. I thought that would be cool.

Lots of those pond birds you saw look cool. (That is my empty comment du jour.)

Sally said...

Debbie, I agree - it would be cool to have heron-bait in your backyard.