Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Lasagna Recipe

Last night Robert and I had homemade frozen lasagna for dinner that was so good, I decided to share the recipe. I have tried a lot of different recipes (and different ways of winging it) but this one is my favorite. Since Robert and I have different preferences (me: veg, him: cheese) and batch cooking is a time-saver, we always make two big lasagnas, one for each of us. This allows us to freeze about half of the servings (individually packaged in plastic, microwave-safe boxes for ease of reheating) to eat later. It does take time to make, but calculated on a time-per-serving basis, it’s well worth it in my opinion. This kicks the ass of a store-bought frozen lasagna so hard as to be laughable. Actually, I prefer it to any restaurant lasagna I’ve ever had too.

I have found that taking the lasagna straight from the freezer, heating on 50-70% power for about 7 minutes, and then heating on full power for a couple of minutes works very well. I recommend serving the lasagna with a green salad.

This version calls for meat, but I have also made it without and it is still delicious.

Sally’s Spinach and Meat Lasagna
Serves 8

2 10-oz boxes of frozen spinach
1 lb button mushrooms, sliced*
6 oz portabella mushrooms, sliced*
½ c. pesto OR lots of herbs**
2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1 16-oz carton 2% cottage cheese
1 egg, beaten
½ c. parmesan cheese, divided in two
½ lb. ground beef (95%), browned
½ lb. turkey sausage (low fat), browned
26-oz jar tomato-basil pasta sauce (e.g. Bertolli)
8-oz can tomato sauce
8-oz package oven ready lasagna noodles

* I use this particular type and ratio of mushrooms because it’s what is convenient at my store. Cremini (baby bella) mushrooms are also great in it. If you are going meatless, you may want to increase the mushroom quantity and go for a more flavorful combination of shrooms rather than using button ones.

** Particularly for the vegetarian version, this is good with pesto that you either make yourself or you can buy. Lately, I have been saving calories (and cost – pine nuts are expensive) by skipping the pesto and just using a large quantity of fresh herbs (basil, oregano, thyme) from my garden.

1. Wilt, drain, and chop spinach. Sauté mushrooms on stove top to release extra water and drain. Combine spinach, mushrooms, and pesto/herbs in a bowl; set aside.
2. Combine mozzarella, cottage cheese, and egg in medium bowl. Stir in ¼ c. parmesan and set aside.
3. Combine pasta sauce and tomato sauce in small bowl; set aside.
4. Make layers in large Pyrex pan sprayed with oil:
1) 1/4 pasta sauce mixture
2) 3 noodles
3) 1/3 cheese mixture
4) 1/3 spinach mixture
5) 1/3 meat
6) 1/4 pasta sauce mixture
7) 3 noodles
8) 1/3 cheese mixture
9) 1/3 spinach mixture
10) 1/3 meat
11) 3 noodles
12) 1/3 cheese mixture
13) 1/3 spinach mixture
14) 1/3 meat
15) 1/4 pasta sauce mixture
16) 3 noodles
17) 1/4 pasta sauce mixture
18) ¼ c. parmesan
5. Cook covered with foil in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook 15 minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have copied the recipe into Word and just need to make it. How much dried herbs would one use in lieu of the fresh?

rvman said...

I don't know that we have an amount - we put in whatever amount we have in the planters at the moment.

I will second Sally's recommendation, this stuff is good.

Sally said...

Mom, I wing it on the quantities so I'm not sure. I would say "be generous" with the herbs; it's not clear to me that you could easily use too much. The last time I made it, I don't think I had any fresh basil and used only oregano and thyme; it was still delicious. The recipe is pretty robust.

Using the 1 unit dried = 3 units fresh herb substitution, I would say try 1 T. for each of the herbs dried, or a little less if you are feeling cautious. Personally, I err on the side of "too much" when adding herbs to pasta and the dish has never suffered for it.