Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Marketing Analysis, Achewood Style

Roast Beef reports the following exchange on his blog:

"RAY: Check it out, dude! McDonald’s is gonna wipe Starbucks off the map by havin’ baristas and fancy coffee drinks!

ME: Man that is baloney the Venn diagram of their customer bases looks like an eight"

Does Beef's contention that the customer base of these two stores does not overlap hold true for my readership? Anybody here been to either or both of these stores in, say, the last 6 months?

I am not a regular user of either, though I did eat at the McD's on the tollroad in Oklahoma this past xmas. I had their grilled chicken salad with ranch and it was surprisingly decent, with a mix of lettuces, a small amount of bacon, and grilled chicken that did not have the dreaded "hot dog" nitrate flavor of, say, the old Whataburger chicken salad. It was 490 calories, fully dressed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I eat/drink at each of McDonald's and Starbucks something like 1-5 times a month.

rvman said...

I have consumed (I hesitate to call taking in the Starbucks coffee milkshake I ordered "eating" or "drinking") in each precisely once in the last decade. I don't know what that data point means, but it is a data point.

Anonymous said...

We go to Starbucks but not McDonalds. Rick has gone to McDonald's just for their Wifi access though.

cartaufalous said...

I love Starbuck's decaf and go at least three times a week. I never buy anything at McDonald's, but sometimes use their bathroom.