Sunday, December 16, 2007

Charitable Contributions: Lagomorph Edition

Since 'tis the season, etc., I thought I would pass on the information about a program I have been supporting since the summer. Goodsearch is a search engine based on Yahoo!'s search program that donates a penny to the charity of your choice for every search you do.

Even if you are a hard-core Google fan, there are a lot of searches you do for which the most sophisticated algorithms are not necessary. I have used Goodsearch a lot, for example, when looking up universities (which I do a fair amount, of course), specific web sites (in fact, after looking up wunderground, my old standby weather site, I followed a paid search link to Accuweather.com and discovered that I actually prefer it), specific businesses, and wikipedia listings (e.g. "Cherokee nation wikipedia"). I also use the Goodsearch site to "look up" links that I check out fairly often.

Goodsearch also has a shopping site; if you navigate to one of the store sites from Goodsearch, a portion of your sale will be donated.

My charity of choice is "House Rabbit Resource Network (Austin, TX)" - the awesome group from whom we adopted the delightful Kate & Leopold, who continue to provide good information and support, and who are fighting the good fight for abandoned bunnies. But there are a lot of organizations you can choose from.

If you're shopping Amazon and do not already have an organization you are supporting through their associates program, accessing Amazon through this link, by clicking on any of the listed books, will give the House Rabbit group a percentage of your sale no matter what product you buy.

You can also become a "Bunny Benefactor" by donating money to support a foster bunny and they will name their next rabbit after the human/animal of your choice. A gift for the person or pet who has everything ... except a bunny named in their honor... or a tribute to a departed friend, furry or otherwise.

Current shelter bunnies say: Thank you!

Two of the sweet bunnies kept alive through the generosity of House Rabbit Resource Network volunteers and benefactors

No comments: