Friday, May 11, 2007

Distance Learning Frustration

It shouldn't be this hard to figure out what one must do, along what time line, and in what order to arrange to take the midterm exam for an online extension class at UT. They have information in about four different places on the course web site and it conflicts. One place says that I should request my exam at least two weeks before I plan to take it. So when I finally find the spot where I can "request midterm exam" and push the button, I get a message saying, "You can take your exam 3 business days from today." And it gives me the testing location address. This doesn't jive so I go back and see that there was a message above the button warning me "be sure you are ready to take the exam before submitting your request" because "the request cannot be recalled." What? Was the idea that I am to be "ready to take the exam" and stay in this primed, ready state for the next two weeks? That's not how any college student in history has faced an exam. I still need to, you know, study for the damn thing.

And they don't tell me whether it is necessary for me to schedule a time to take the exam or if I can just show up during their business hours at any time. But if that is the case, and they will basically sit on the exam until I show up, why all the scary talk about "the request cannot be recalled"?

I guess I will have to call the testing center on Monday and find out what the hell is going on. Call them from Colorado State, I mean, since I am in class all next week.

Ah, I just found some other information that says: "Your online confirmation will be followed in the U.S. mail by a postcard which will give you the information you need to take the exam; for example, your testing site and the date when your eligibility for exam administration expires. It will tell you also what identifying information and authorized materials you will need to bring to the testing center." So I guess I wait until the post card comes and Robert tells me what it says. Hopefully my testing eligibility will last a while after I get back from Colorado.

Grrrrr.

No comments: