Monday, April 2, 2007

11.1%

I have now completed 11.1% (2/18) of the assignments for my math class to be sent in the mail tomorrow. Preparing an assignment to be graded is a minor hassle: I have to photocopy the pages, fill out a cover sheet (of which there is a different one for each assignment, complete with bar code), put everything in an envelope, and then mail to the extension service. (Or, rather, give to Robert to take to the post office in his building to be weighed, stamped, and mailed.) In two weeks, I'll find out how I did.

I have found myself already making up rhymes and poor puns based on my instructor's name; it's sort of strange that the only things I know about him are his name, his ostensible gender, and what bits I glean from his writing style in the study guide. I actually thought his function/missile metaphor was rather confusing in a way, but that may have been because I already knew the material he was covering so any analogy seemed more complicated than the concept itself. The real test (for him as an instructor) is when we get to Taylor series. I will make myself open to enlightenment and see how well this distance learning via standardized written materials really works.

OK, I just googled him and came across this comment from one of his students on a teacher review: "He's ok looking, but not hot." Bummer for him, since I understand that physical attractiveness is the best predictor of college student ratings of their professors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure he wrote the study guide? You may know less than you think.

I took a math course this exact same way. In the summer of 1986, I believe. It's amazing that the technology for these classes is still the same. Snail mail?

On the other hand, math is hard to write on computers so it's probably just as well. In other good news, unlike with classroom courses I got a lot of feedback, which was nice. Especially when after 13/15 lessons I asked whether anyone had ever gotten that far and not finished. The answer was no.

(It was Euclidean geometry and mostly proofs. I had a really hard time figuring out what I could assume was known and what I had to put into the proof. You know how ridiculous these people can get. Some things were easy, like I went ahead and just assumed they knew that 2 came next after 1 and was twice as big.)

Tam said...

That is a tricky thing about writing proofs. You can always assume Euclid's five postulates, but, for instance, you shouldn't really use calculus to prove something basic about a triangle.