Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Chick Flick: The Lake House (with spoilers)

A woman in my class brought several chick flicks for us to watch last week, one of which was The Lake House. I thought it was OK, but it was definitely no Kate and Leopold, my favorite modern chick flick with an implausible time travel premise. (Meg Ryan is a cynical market researcher! Hugh Jackman as a 19th century aristocrat delivers the killer, totally-old-school put-down, "He has less French than I, if such a thing is possible," with a delightfully straight face! What's not to like?)

If you are considering watching The Lake House, you may want to stop reading now because I am going to present some questions that I couldn't get out of my mind while watching it.

OK, I'm not even going to address the time issue. It's not clear to me whether the plot is consistent with its own premises and frankly, I don't really care. I mean, this movie has Keanu Reeves. He is not exactly known for acting in movies with great philosophical credibility (e.g. The Matrix, Johnny Mnemonic).

But I do wonder:

(1) Who invites some random dude off the street to his girlfriend's birthday party?

(2) Who kisses some random dude at the birthday party her boyfriend has thrown for her?

(3) How damaged was Keanu in the accident that Sandra didn't recognize him as the random dude she kissed at her birthday party two years ago? (Does she kiss so many random guys that she can't keep track?)

Also, If my sweetheart from the future really loved me, he would tell me who won the next Kentucky Derby or something of value. I could be both head over heels in love and rich at the same time. Just sayin'.

I thought Sandra Bullock was very appealing in this movie. I liked her better than in the movies she made when she was younger. It feels ridiculous to say about someone who is still fairly young (44) and so beautiful, but she is aging incredibly well. Keanu is starting to show his age, however, and not in a good way. I found their on-screen chemistry believable enough.

4 comments:

Tam said...

Do you remember that we talked about this movie somewhat recently? Mosch, Terry and I watched it, and she had seen it before but couldn't follow it because she only listens to movies and can't watch them (and it's a really confusing movie from that perspective) and we - Mosch and I - got to try to narrate it. I think I told you it was interesting but I could not quite fully recommend it except for the semi-interesting time premise. (I guess I can't really call it "time travel", but you know.)

Tam said...

And, wait, wasn't Sandra Bullock the one who was in the future? Hence how it was only the next day when she went to meet him for the date and he didn't show up. And how her note mentioned the dog tracks on the walkway that he then saw the stray dog leave as he was painting?

(Don't feel bad - assuming I have this right. I had to keep remembering which way it was while I was watching the movie - and Mosch and Terry totally missed how the time element worked around the ending - and even now I had to think for a while to get a definitive answer as to who was ahead.)

Sally said...

Tam, I do remember that you had seen and semi-recommended the movie. But I am not quite understanding your second comment. Is this in reference to my question 3? Could you elaborate?

Tam said...

Oh, you know, I just took this statement

Also, If my sweetheart from the future really loved me, he would tell me who won the next Kentucky Derby or something of value.

...as implying that Keanu was in the future and should have given Sandra Bullock some useful info. But, duh, you could just reverse the genders and get the actual case from the movie. See, I told you I perceived these lines more rigidly than most ;-)