Sunday, June 24, 2018

The Path to Leadership

#NatureTwinning Part 59

Black and Pink Butterfly--Thursday, 5/3/18

The overhand knot is still going strong.  I'm liking this one for warmer weather.

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $7.60


Google image search, it is hard for me to express how much this butterfly is NOT erebia tyndarus.  That's a pretty butterfly, to be sure, but its resemblance to this one is remarkably non-existent.

St Louis Zoo

Hornbill--Friday, 5/4/18

Polka dots, birds, more polka dots, plus stripes--Friday pattern mixing for the win.

OCPW: $9.22


Better job on this guy, which Google identified correctly as a hornbill.  It didn't attempt to tell me what kind, which of course is what I want to know, but at least it didn't give me incorrect information this time.

However, I was able to use this fantastic site I stumbled across to find it!  I entered Institution = Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo [that was the tricky part to figure out, as I initially just entered Henry Doorly Zoo] and Taxon = Aves.  That brought up a list of birds at the zoo, and I searched for hornbill.  This was the second hornbill species listed.  I need to remember this trick!

It's a silvery-cheeked hornbill...a name whose origin is readily apparent from the feathers on the bird's face.

(Note: I tried the butterfly above also, but no butterfly species are listed on that site for Saint Louis Zoological Park, though beetles and some other insects are listed.)

Henry Doorly Zoo

In other news...The week before last we had final interviews for the new assistant director of my department, who will be my supervisor.  (I missed the first round of interviews because I was on vacation.)  Both candidates were good, but very different--to be extremely simplistic, the external candidate is more clearly a data person, and the internal candidate (not from my department) is more clearly a people person.  Our department head S. had planned to make a decision quickly, but I haven't heard anything, nor has the interim assistant director, so I don't know what's going on.

After the interviews, when the committee was discussing the candidates, S. said that she hopes in the future to be ready to promote from within the department.  After that discussion, she called me into her office, and apparently the person she would like to develop to be that ready successor is me.  So I should be expecting some professional development/mentorship in the future around leadership skills.  Fun times?  Not sure yet, but any indication of (even just intended) job security is welcome at my organization.

One thing I'll note about my organization is that it is more political and high profile than most organizations.  For example, not many companies or non-profits have a journalist on the staff of their local newspaper who exists merely to write articles about them.  (This journalist basically hates us, so it's pretty much a never-ending barrage of criticism.)  The aspect of the assistant manager's role that involves managing projects and direct reports is not the part that's difficult.  It's managing relationships with other organizational departments, external entities, and so on that is the (not-very-fun) challenge.  It's walking on eggshells while trying not to step on landmines.

Another challenge is that the role (as my previous manager the extrovert embodied it, anyway) requires a TON of meetings.  S. knows and acknowledges that this is not my preference.

We'll see what happens.  Right now, I'm looking forward to the new fiscal year arriving on July 1 with me still employed!

No comments: