Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Never Say Never

#NatureTwinning Part 60: Brought to you by Alice in Wonderland and a new pair of capris

Regal Lion at African Grasslands--Saturday, 5/5/18

When reviewing my clothing prior to the onset of summer and a visit to see my parents and sister's family, I was struck by how thoroughly I had purged my wardrobe of summery skirts/pants for casual situations.  I have a good sized set of knit yoga capri pants for exercising, but was looking for something a bit more "normal" clothing looking (though I recognize that people wear athletic clothes in most casual situations without thinking twice).

So I did some window shopping online and discovered that there is a lot more variety in the "capri" category than I'd previously realized. 

I have historically disliked capri pants, and it was actually difficult for me to buy the yoga type for exercise until I tried them on and realized they would be pretty much perfectly suited to my needs. 

But looking at the capri pants and "skimmers" (which tend to be just below the knee--longer than shorts but shorter than capris) currently available, I realized that what I'd disliked was the type of subtly baggy and flared beige capri pants that I associate with little old ladies wearing in the 1980s with giant white velcro sneakers.  (I wish I could find a good representative sample online but wasn't able to find what I was looking for.)  But the ones with a slimmer leg, in a dark color, look pretty good.

So I bought a few pairs of capris/skimmers for my summer wardrobe, even though I would have said 10 years ago that I'd never wear capri pants.

That said, I did balk at some of the ones I tried, including some knit ones that flared at the end for no reason I could imagine.  They looked stupid as hell on me, even worse than on the models (do they have giant calves or what?  I am not used to the concept of having a thinner calf than a model.)

This first set are called "polished" capris because they look basically like ankle pants you would wear to a business casual office, only shorter.

*Black polished capris (Kohls), $19.99

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $26.41


This lion looks much more imposing than the Cheshire Cat, though ultimately, he's probably a lot less dangerous.

Henry Doorly Zoo

Grevy's Zebras--Sunday, 5/6/18

I liked 'em so well I wore 'em again with a new-to-me striped shirt and some Alice pattern mixing.

*Black and white striped button shoulder top (thrifted, JNY), $5.24

OCPW: $18.78


Black and white stripe triplets for the win!

St Louis Zoo

In other news...One of the topics of conversation with my dad and his friend after they'd picked me up from the SFO airport was...well, the traffic, of course, but also how expensive it is to live in the SF area and the effects that has on the commutes of people who work in lower-wage jobs in the area but can't afford to live nearby.  For example, who the hell is working at the fast food restaurants?  Where do they live?  How do they get there?

The New York Times had an article a few days ago about this problem for restaurants in SF in general, and they highlighted a fix to the problem that some restaurants have discovered--not hiring waiters and having the customers do the job instead, something that we're used to at fast-casual restaurants like Chipotle but not so much at nicer places.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Serving yourself at a restaurant would be more like at home, but I would hope the prices would reflect that they are not paying a wait staff.

Sally said...

Right, I guess this is how they keep the price of a meal under $25 or whatever.