Thursday, April 19, 2018

Academic Rogues

#NatureTwinning Part 42:  Featuring the cashmere sweater + quilted vest combo

Jellyfish or Whatever--Monday, 3/12/18

Monochromatic blue redux, this time with extra aqua.  Nobody remembers that I dressed very similarly on Friday, right?

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $11.83


I pair an expanse of blue with yellow hair.  The oceans decorate with much cooler-looking golden things.  (These guys were such a pain to photograph; I'm glad one of my attempts turned out.)

Henry Doorly Zoo

Palm Trees at Simone Pond--Tuesday, 3/13/18

A somewhat unusual version with classic work pants.  Is that taking the quilted vest thing too far?  I thought it kind of worked in a crazy way.  If I'd traded these flats for all-weather mocs, I'd feel very Colorado in this outfit.

OCPW: $17.14


The Coachella Valley is not just a place for music festivals.

Coachella Valley

In other news...Say what you will about my PhD program, but at least I wasn't ever required to break the law to complete an assignment.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Ugh. "This story originally said that PSU changed Whitman's failing grade. The university did not change his grade but allowed him to graduate."

I recently met the whistle-blower in this story:
< http://utdmercury.com/noncompliant/ >

She told me that to get a PhD, you only had to take one graduate-level course and could finish the degree with nothing but freshman-level courses. She has since been blacklisted and can never work in a university. She may be exaggerating or simplifying the situation but it sounds pretty terrible: oh yeah, grad programs always suck at the beginning, that's just how things work.

I definitely took grad courses that met with upper-division undergrad courses and there were additional assignments--like the paper mentioned. I don't know what I think about that.

I think things have to get pretty terrible before I go into activist mode. I probably would never have noticed FERPA violations in grad school because I'd never heard of it.

Sally said...

Interesting. It makes me wonder how much of her experience was bait-and-switch on the program's part and how much was her not realizing from the information that was available what the implications were (i.e., the program was laughably low quality).

I did not have undergrads in any of my grad courses. I did experience the flip side as an undergrad--the history of psychology course was cross-listed, with more/different assignments for the grad students. But since the undergrad program was much stronger than the grad program, having undergrad and grad students in the same class wasn't as weird as it might otherwise be.

If you're in an education program, you really do have to know about FERPA. If you're outside education, I don't think you would.

Debbie said...

Good point about actually majoring in education in grad school.