Wednesday, September 20, 2017

We Got Snubull, Right Here in River City

And She Was - Alison Gaylin

This is the first in a series about a private investigator (specializing in finding missing persons) with a strange condition--hyperthemesia, which not only allows her to recollect personal memories in stunningly perfect detail, but causes her to get lost in the past when a memory is triggered.  Though the story had some flaws (e.g., it was not really convincing that the police detective would share information about a case with a PI this way), it was a decent effort, and I will read the next one in the series to see where this character is going.

A Favorite Color Combination--Monday, 8/28/17

I can't get enough of these coral pants with any shade of blue--navy, chambray, denim...they're all terrific.  It's been a long time since I've worn a denim shirt as a jacket, but I didn't get any bad flashbacks to the 90s (despite the owl necklace, which is the mascot of the college I attended in that era), so it worked out.

Outfit cost per wear: $7.78


Pattern Mixing Meh--Tuesday, 8/29/17

Yeah, I didn't love this one, but I was appropriately clothed for work and comfortable all day, so that's good enough.

OCPW: $9.33


Tomato Peacock--Wednesday, 8/30/17

It's nice having another red-and-blue scarf other than my fish one.  Though this peacock one (gift from my sis) is definitely more "red with a hint of blue" that works nicely to balance out the "blue with a hint of red" striped flats.

OCPW: $11.15


Last Chance Bunnies--Thursday, 8/31/17

You can tell the end of summer is nigh as I keep re-wearing this sleeveless rabbit blouse a few more times before it's too cold for it.

OCPW: $8.68


Boho Candyland Elementary Teacher Barbie--Friday, 9/1/17

Sometimes the outfit name says it all.

OCPW: $7.32


In other news...I have an endless fascination with articles about the job-candidate mismatch, whether it's legit, what's causing it, and so on.  This one argues that the problem is more about hiring company policies than it is a skills gap.

Tam sends this short article about statement jeans, to which I respond: I'm not sure they are fun to look at, actually. They were mostly very disturbing.  That last pair....*shiver*

3 comments:

Debbie said...

That one article says, 'one problem is that companies are posting openings with required qualifications that aren't really necessary for the job. "They're just asking for the moon, and not expecting to pay very much for it," Cappelli says.'

No worries, just keep making your current employees do the extra work, long after the recession is over. (Grrr.)

I agree the statement jeans are yucko. Though I admit to having liked statement jeans in the eighties when that meant embroidered designs on the pockets. I much prefer statement necklaces.

mom said...

It is nothing new that employers list every qualification possible hoping for the perfect employee, but then not paying them very much. In 2002 when I was looking for an Admin Assistant position I saw ads in the newspaper (job postings on the internet were not so common then) I saw lists of qualifications for everything in Word Office, Power Point, Excel and a host of other requirements, but only paid $8.00 an hour.

Sally said...

Yeah, I always wonder about those kinds of ads. Are they seriously looking to fill a job or are they putting up an ad waiting for the perfect person with all the skills and low salary requirements to come along? ...overworking your current employees in the process.

Mom, that's a good point re: fantastical job requirements not being a new phenomenon. I wonder if the thing is that it's spread more broadly than it used to be?