Friday, September 22, 2017

The Sound and the Furret

What the Dead Know - Laura Lippman

A woman fleeing the scene of an accident claims to be one of two teenage sisters abducted from a mall 30 years before, but only gives out information about herself and her history in frustrating dibs and drabs.  Frustrating for the detective working the case, and frustrating for the reader as well.  I did find the story ultimately worth the reading, however.

Additional recommendation: Generation Loss, Available Dark, and Hard Light - Elizabeth Hand

If you're up for an edgy mystery with a protagonist who drives you crazy (but that you feel sympathy for  anyway), this past-her-prime punk photographer who gets caught up in some seriously weird-ass shit might be just what you're looking for.

With a Monday holiday, Wednesday photography fail, and Thursday sick day, I have only two outfits to show for this week.

Piped and Dotted--Tuesday, 9/5/17

I love this blouse + blazer combination.  The white-with-some-black + black-with-some-white is very satisfying.  This is a top half I could put together with any solid colored pants or skirt, so you'll probably be seeing it again.

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $11.98


Wednesday's outfit was a familiar combination of black-and-white top + colorful pants: bright pink pants, diamond top, cream-white moto jacket, tan captoe flats, and pink floral necklace.  OCPW: $10.87.

Thursday is another take on olive + pink: olive short-sleeved T, jeans, pink polka dot cardigan, orange/green/pink floral scarf, and olive leopard flats.  OCPW: $8.55.

Chambray Duo Redux--Friday, 9/8/17

This outfit puts the "I can wear this chambray duo with any solid colored pants/skirt" idea to the test.  Did it pass?  Chambray and aqua are not an expected combination, but I think it was OK.  I liked the gold necklace/flats with it.

OCPW: $11.51



It's been a while since I've shared a nature photo, so here is a Great Egret with food in his mouth.  I took a lot of photos of this bad boy going after that snack!  (Click on the image for a closer view.)


In other news...I think some of my readers will relate to the idea that flexible working is making people work longer.  As a person who cherishes a sharp divide between my work and leisure spheres, I'm glad that I have a close-by office where I work and then come home and don't work again (generally speaking; there are occasional exceptions) until I return.  When work is allowed access to my personal space, it tends to expand to fill it--if I'm not working, I'm then thinking about work, and wondered whether I should be working, etc. etc.  It's not a happy thing for me at all.  It might be that if I had a necessary "work from home" situation, I would be able to create clear divisions that would keep me sane, but I'm glad not to have to work to development and maintain that compartmentalization.   

In other, really weird, sad news...A guy I have worked with frequently (who is a director level person in my organization) was arrested yesterday on suspicion of terroristic threat after sending threatening text messages to a colleague.   Today the district attorney's office decided not to charge him with that crime (a felony) but it is still unknown whether he will eventually face lesser charges.  Our building was in lockdown mode yesterday, but I didn't know why until I read about this situation this morning.  It's been a strange-feeling day because of this development.

No comments: