Friday, March 21, 2014

It's Official

I went in and signed all my paperwork today, so it looks like I really do have a job starting April 7.

It was really nice that I've been practicing dressing for a business-casual environment (at least some days) because I was able to just reprise the "dressing like a boy" outfit this morning, adding a chunky silvery necklace because I roll like that.  One thing that was funny is that I only have one pair of tall black socks (i.e., socks that you don't have to worry that your shin shows when your pant leg rides up when you sit down -- aka trouser socks) and I wore them with the "boy" outfit last week and haven't washed them.  Fortunately my feet are big enough that I could borrow a pair of Robert's black socks (with an argyle pattern -- I can't quite tell if all of his socks are this same pattern, but the 4 or 5 that I picked up this morning were) to wear.  But I had already known this was a problem and ordered several pairs of socks from Sock Dreams, which arrived this evening.  (I got a couple fun pairs and a few more sedate pairs.  Once I decide between a couple of plain styles from wearing them, I'll need to order more.  Not having enough socks is not fun!)  I'll be featuring some of these fun socks in later posts.

Blue Pattern Mixing -- 3/18/14

I've had this pencil skirt for a long time; I think I purchased it last summer.  The sweater, however, just arrived this week from a major online sale.  I could not resist trying the two items together with navy leggings-as-tights and my black boots as a possible work ensemble.


New items:
**Navy and white polka dot pencil skirt from Target
**Blue and teal cardigan from Coldwater Creek

Try Again -- 3/19/14

My first plan for this outfit was to wear the pants (the second, slightly lighter "denim" colored ones) with a t-shirt topped by a coral and white striped shirt...which turned out to be just too small to be comfortable.  (I have a few woven shirts that I bought at Goodwill about 10 pounds ago that are borderline too small or frankly too small.)  So I switched to this one, which is borderline in the sense that it is fine on its own but is too tight with a knit shirt underneath.  So I used it as the bottom layer instead of the top layer and was pleased that the same scarf could be worn, just picking up the grey stripes in this shirt instead of the coral in the other one.  I managed 3 patterns here -- stripes, floral, and herringbone.  Nice.

It's better to be scrambling to switch up an outfit because one of the components is unworkable now than a couple weeks from now when I'm trying to get to work at some ungodly hour of the morning.  (I am still somewhat in denial about how my morning schedule is going to work, but I do know that my evening schedule will involve laying out the clothes I am wearing the next day and that are already vetted for cleanliness, fit, comfort, matching, etc.)


New item:
**White and grey striped popover shirt (thrifted)
**"Denim" trousers from Kohls

Cascading Brick Red Cardigan -- 3/20/14

I am kind of ridiculously pleased with this cardigan I got on major discount at the Coldwater Creek sale.  (Which is nice because I also bought it in a dark teal blue color.)   It's nice enough to wear in my new work environment (at least on Fridays; I haven't quite figured out where the line is between M-Th and F dressing) but worn with a pair of Dockers pants, a t-shirt, and flat shoes, it's sort of like PJs for work.  (It would also be suitable for putting a belt over the cardigan, but I was like, Screw that I'm going for ultra-comfy today.)


New item:
**Cascading brick red cardigan from Coldwater Creek

About a month ago, I signed up for StyleUp, which sends you an email every evening (for M-F) with a next-day weather forecast for your zip code and an outfit suggestion (that is theoretically appropriate for that weather, though there is some variability in how well it fits for Snow City and other northern regions, from the comments I've seen on the site).  It also lets you pick between 4 different styles (corporate professional, creative professional, conservative casual, trendy casual) based on your needs -- I switched from conservative casual to corporate professional when I got my job offer.  (Be aware also that these definitions are not terribly binding or exact, but they get you in the ballpark most of the time.)  I have not actually based any of my outfits on these email suggestions, though I have saved a few to my computer that I thought I might find inspirational later.

Well, yesterday I was sitting at my computer wearing the outfit above when I got an email with this suggestion:


Cascading red cardigan over a black/grey base of knit shirt and pants?  Check.  Robert pointed out that we even both have blonde hair.  (I actually thought the rolled pants with the ankle boots was both not my style and not as workplace appropriate as my slipper flats.  Oh, plus, mine has leopard print, and leopard print is like an automatic win, esp. with red -- but I have a pair of black ankle boots I could use to approximate this look more closely.)  So...I didn't really take their suggestion, but I did dress very similarly to their suggestion.  It was just a day for cascading red cardigans.

4 comments:

jen said...

Maybe the cascading cardigan would look cute with skinny jeans/pants and your new boots too? Thumbs up on the other two looks as well. StyleUp seems like an interesting site.

mom said...

Ditto what Jennifer said. You have so many outfits set up that dressing for your new job should be lots easier.

mom said...

Ditto what Jennifer said. You have so many outfits set up that dressing for your new job should be lots easier.

Sally said...

Thanks! I agree that skinny pants and tall boots is a good match for the cascading cardigan. I haven't been wearing much in the way of skinnies (despite them being the dominant pants/jeans silhouette for a while) because it's not a look that is flattering for a large-ish pear shape figure, but adding tall boots definitely helps balance things.