Thursday, March 20, 2014

Caterpillars Never Ever Wear Brown Boots

Dressing Like a Boy -- 3/12/14

It's hard to tell from the photo, but these are dark navy or black (can't remember right now!) pinstriped pants.  I initially wanted to wear a white/ivory, light pink, or light blue pullover sweater with it, but I don't own anything like that, so I decided to go very menswear instead -- button-down shirt, pullover sweater, oxford shoes.  Not even a necklace or scarf, which is weird for me.


I was super-pleased that the blues in the shirt and sweater were such a spot-on match.


New items:
**Pinstriped pants (thrifted, Express)
**Blue striped button up shirt (thrifted, Jones New York)

Heeding the Muppet Show's Warning -- 3/13/14

Do you remember the Muppet Show segment with the caterpillar losing his brown boots?  (I did not remember that this segment was on the Muppet Show until I googled it -- I just remember it was on TV, and that my mom used to sing the main line to my sister and me sometimes.)  Anyway, clearly brown boots are dangerous.  But what about black boots?

Because it is becoming spring-like in other parts of the country, but is still winter in Snow City, this was a great time to get a pair of work-compatible tall black boots on sale from Zappos and still get a lot of wear out of them this season.  I tested about half a dozen pairs and settled on this riding boot by Fitzwell.

And I wore them with a brown outfit.  Though sort of miraculously, the skirt has some black in the plaid.  I am a huge fan of prints that have even a little bit of black -- it makes it very simple to wear the item with black (a hugely common color for jackets, pants/skirts, and shoes/boots) in a coherent way.  But to pump-up the compatibility factor, I also wore a scarf with black in it.  A scarf with horses on it, people.  Get it?  Riding boots, horse scarf.  It all makes sense now.



New items:
**Brown quilted jacket (thrifted)
**Brown plaid skirt (thrifted)
**Black riding boots from Zappos (Fitzwell)

Oh, I think I haven't been pointing out when I've been wearing my new leggings that are THE BOMB.  Super comfy, high at the waist to avoid the segmented worm problem, and with just a bit of support.  I have them in all the colors now.  I'm not the only fan.  I got a kick this week out of seeing at the bottom of this post that another blogger owns and loves the same leggings I do (I could tell from reading her description and looking at the color selection -- yep, those are the colors they come in -- well, those plus navy).  The only downside is that they have really upped my standard for tights/leggings.  I bought a pair of tights from Target (because they are relatively inexpensive and come in a zillion colors) but they were less comfortable in the waist and too scratchy.  So I'm still on the lookout for actual tights (footed ones, I mean) that match the high bar set by these leggings.  We'll see. 

Another thing that has made a big difference to me is learning that sizing up in tights is a good idea.  (I thought I read this on this blog but I can't find the link; maybe I dreamed it).  Anyway, I've started doing that and it is fab.

More Riding -- 3/14/14

The other issue with the tall boots is how they would feel worn over skinny(ish) pants or jeans, so I tested that next.  (You're seeing a photo taken in the afternoon, when my jeans had the opportunity to scrunch up a bit.  Still looks OK to my eye.)  The boots passed the test.  I also thought the black jacket was suitably equestrian-looking for a riding boot ensemble.  (Note the scarf with significant black in the pattern with light and bright shades of pink and blue -- well done, designer.)


New items:  none

No comments: