Friday, December 3, 2010

Death by Neuroscience

My grueling, agonizing, loathsome process of preparing for my neuroscience final (which is motivated mostly by the realization that if I don't pass the class, I will have to take it again next semester - including repeating the preparation of the midterm and term paper that I've already done - which would be utter hell) continues.  I am at about 2.5 answers of out 12, which indicates a perhaps unsustainable lack of speed in developing my responses even though I started with the ones that seemed easiest. There is also absolutely no evidence on which to pin any hopes that everybody will do badly on the exam and that a curve will be forthcoming.  It's pretty clear that you've got to hit the mark to get the grade because some people are rocking the class and the prof is quite okay with failing people who miss the mark (like my office mate last year who had the repeat the class).

This is the absolute worst part of my program so far.  I feel that I might actually die.  The professor mentioned that the course should be two semesters, meeting 3 times per week (instead of one semester, 1 time per week).  And while it's true that we did not cover everything in the textbook, we covered about 75% of it, plus additional readings, plus all the extra sources we have to find on our own to prepare for the exams.  Bah.  

I think it's funny and maybe sadly appropriate that we did cover the chapter on sleep but not the chapter on sex. 

On the brighter side, here's my application update:
Applications submitted: 16/17
Applications confirmed completed by the school: 3/17

And no matter what horrors my PhD program will offer, I will not have to take another class in neuroscience EVER AGAIN.  This is a non-negotiable feature of any program I decide to attend.

2 comments:

Tam said...

You'll get through this, and you won't fail. But it certainly sounds horrible and you have my sympathy.

Sally said...

Thanks, Tam.

I guess I'm lucky that 90% of my experienced misery seems to have occurred in the preparation for these two neuroscience exams. (Of course, I'm sort of leaving aside the low level misery that pervaded my first semester, since that period was more marked by stress than agony.)