Saturday, December 18, 2010

4.0

I have now finished my coursework in the program and managed to maintain my 4.0 GPA even through the neuroscience class. Strangely, I ended up doing better in neuroscience than I did in cognitive my first semester - despite starting off the first exam with 36/40 (90%), I finished with a 96% after getting 20/20 on the paper and 40/40 on the final exam.  So my big neuroscience push paid off.  I also got A's in the two half-semester courses I took, though that wasn't unexpected - but it wasn't certain either, so I'm glad to hear it.

I also spoke to the professor at the PhD program I mentioned earlier this week for about 50 minutes.  He was agreeable/friendly, interesting, easy to talk to, offered some good information and advice, and answered my questions.  From my perspective, it went as well as I could have hoped, and I think I have a good chance of being offered a more formal interview at the applicant weekend based on what the professor said on the phone - I'm not sure what to call it, actually, but it's typical for several applicants (the top choices) to be invited to spend a couple of days at the school, talking to professors, other grad students, etc.  The applicants offered an admit are often drawn from this smallish group (though sometimes people get admitted directly, I understand).  Anyway, I'm definitely not counting my chickens at this point because it's early days yet (applications are due in January sometime) and they could receive mind-blowingly awesome applications that move me into the second rank of applicants, this advisor might for some reason decide/find out they're not accepting a student, or a number of other things could happen.  But I believe it's a good sign that: a) my application passed any initial screening and landed on a potential advisor's desk; b) the advisor was interested enough in my application to give me a call and spend a not insignificant amount of time on the phone; and c) the advisor is already telling me about the applicant weekend.

So now there's just that pesky little detail that I have to write and defend a thesis before I can graduate this spring.  No biggie.

3 comments:

Tam said...

You're the bomb. I'm not a bit surprised by the 4.0. My grades come out Tuesday and I'm pretty eager to see 'em. I know my analysis grade (the one I'm concerned about) has already been submitted (because the professor wasn't on the "reminder" email sent out by the department secretary, according to one source), but I can't justify pestering him about it, of course.

mom said...

Hard work and good organizational skills do pay off! Congrats on the grades and the interview.

jen said...

That's my sis