Sunday, September 12, 2010

Losing It and Getting It Back

On Thursday evening, I did kind of lose it. After working hard for two long days, my analysis of the second experiment for my major area paper yielded a non-significant result that really needed to be significant for my unusual proposed mechanism underlying my cool, counter-intuitive finding (itself still significant, thank relevant gods) to be strongly supported. I did not literally rend any garments, but I wasn't happy about it. When Robert got here, and after he stashed the veggies he brought from the farmers market in the kitchen, I told him about it (with some gnashing of teeth). Then I realized that I had been so busy and full of rageful disappointment that I hadn't had a snack and was quite hungry.

Robert said, Go in the kitchen and open the white paper sack. (Well, he said it in a way that did not sound like a command from an Infocom game.) And lo, it was revealed: an oatmeal raisin coconut cookie from the farmers market. And next to this sack, there was the elixir of life in the form of a bottle of Cragganmore, the perfect accompaniment to a sweet treat.

So we relished our snack, and refilled our glasses, and all was right in the world.

Robert thinks this looks like a face; it is the face of yum

3 comments:

Lee Ryan said...

oh God. Three fingers please. (and if you hold the fingers a little apart while you pour - that's 'ok')

Sally said...

Lee, I thought of you while posting this. It was damn good scotch.

Lee Ryan said...

so you really were teasing me. Glad you enjoyed it.