Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Few Random Notes

Latest numbers from the CDC: 30% of American adults are obese and another 38% are overweight.  (I am writing an NIH grant proposal for two studies about self-regulation, identity, and eating habits as a class assignment.)

In unrelated news, I think I ate my ("normal") weight in macaroni and cheese this week.

Today I briefly wished I was wearing long pants.  We'll see if this feeling continues at all as October looms before us.

An Economist article about management and biology used the phrase "the rigor of biology."  (It's only in the social sciences that biology would be so characterized.)

Most amusing thing heard today on the bus: "The axioms in topology are way weirder than the ones in abstract [algebra]."

Tomorrow, I don't have to teach, so I'm staying home to make chicken and rice soup (a long process when you start with 5 pounds of skin-on, bone-in chicken).  One of the benefits of academia is, as they say, that you get to pick the 80 hours per week you work.  Tomorrow, I also get to pick where I work them.  Not having to commute to and from school saves me about 40 minutes (more if you include booting and shutting down my computer, which takes an age), so that's nice.

I defend my major area paper next Thursday.  I will have to re-read the thing (and take notes, like it's somebody else's paper) to remember what the findings were.  They've changed too many times over the many rounds of data collection.  My paper is 15, 160 words long.

We didn't have neuroscience class today, and that was awesome.  (Class itself is fine; it's all the work that goes into preparing for class that sucks.)  

I've been sleeping 8 hours per night this week.  It's bliss.  Serious bliss.  I'm going to do it again right now.

No comments: