Monday, January 26, 2009

Pretty Food of Quality

While, apparently, people can disagree as to whether quality food can be "ugly," in the present instance, I maintain that this dish Robert made for me this weekend (for me alone, because he doesn't like turmeric) is both nice to look at and yummy to eat and presents no awkwardness on the "what do we mean by quality" front and - in short, I am just a sucker for one-dish meals in general and I do like this one.

I would serve it on a purple plate if I weren't too lazy to move it from the ziploc box

One Dish Chicken and Kielbasa Rice
Cooking Light

2 ½ c. low sodium chicken broth
1/8 t. ground turmeric
1 c. long-grain white rice
7 oz turkey kielbasa, sliced into ½ inch pieces
8 oz skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 chopped onion
1 chopped bell pepper
½ c. frozen peas
40 sliced manzanilla or green olives
1 T. bottled garlic

1. Cook rice with broth and turmeric according to package instructions.
2. Spray dutch oven with olive oil. Over high heat, add chicken; cook 2 minutes or until browned. Add onion and bell pepper; cook 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in peas, olives, and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add rice and sausage; cook until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly.

Serves 4 at 367 calories per serving.

No comments: