Friday, December 19, 2008

Quotable

"If I can be any help at all, you're in worse trouble than I thought."
- Blind jazz saxophonist to Steve Martin, All of Me

I sometimes feel this way reading fellow applicants' posts to the Livejournal applying to grad community.

More on the Linda the bank teller:
"As Stephen Jay Gould noted, knowledge of the truth does not dislodge the feeling that Linda is a feminist bank teller: 'I know [the right answer], yet a little homonculus in my head continues to jump up and down, shouting at me - "but she can't just be a bank teller; read the description."'"
- Daniel Kahneman & Shane Frederick, Representativeness Revisited

(Those nested quotation marks are making me crazy here.)

You know, sometimes you just gotta tell that little homonculus to shut up and sit his ass down.

No comments: