Monday, December 8, 2008

Grad School & Leo Update

I have completed and sent in the 6 applications that I had scheduled myself to have done prior to Christmas break. I now only have one left, with a late deadline, that I hope I will not have to finish. So now, we wait.

On Saturday night, Leo developed a head tilt - he was sitting up, trying to sleep, but his head kept tilting over to the side until he'd jerk it back into position, over and over. Head tilt is a very serious symptom in rabbits and generally indicates that the bunny should get immediate care. We are fortunate that the House Rabbit group in Austin, from whom we adopted Leo, provides such excellent support for their bunnies. Robert got on the phone with one of the women from the group I will call T and half an hour later, we were in her living room, with Leo getting shots of steroids (to remove pressure from the nerve in his ear) and antibiotics. She sent us home with three days of medication. Leo has already improved drastically (no more tilting! and he is behaving/eating mostly normally) so on Wed. night, we will go to her house again to pick up some oral antibiotic that she is compounding for us.

A weekend emergency visit to an animal hospital would have been several hundred dollars. When Robert asked about how much we owed her, she said, "Let's call it a $10 donation to cover the costs. You can give it to me when you pick up the oral meds." $10?! Needless to say, the organization will be getting a substantially larger donation from us than that.

4 comments:

Tam said...

I'm glad Leo is feeling better. I've seen head tilt in rats before, though sometimes they develop it as a chronic condition that never clears (even once antibiotics remove the infection).

rvman said...

Rabbits will have it as a chronic condition sometimes, too. (I've seen one rabbit which had its head tilted a full 90 degrees, but didn't seem to be bothered - it had adapted to the new perspective on life, I guess.)

Sally said...

We are just glad that (it seems) he is responding to the antibiotic, suggesting it's just an infection, and not the dreaded Brain Tumor causing the head tilt.

Anonymous said...

Poor Leo! That's awesome that you got him such immediate and affordable care!