Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Revisiting 6th & 7th Grades

Robert suggested that my summer job should be easy enough that I won't have a problem with coming home and studying math for the GRE.

But I found out on Monday that my first task at work will be doing every problem in the textbook, making sure the teacher guide answers are correct (and correctly worked when the method is given), and doing various kinds of evaluation of the exercises and writing new exercises as needed. So while it's true that I am unlikely to be generally exhausted from my job, it remains unclear to me how much interest I am going to have in coming home and doing even more math problems.

Of course, I find it amusing that I recently determined that so many GRE math problems look like algebra problems but can be solved (esp. since they are multiple choice) without using algebra (according to the prep book "trick" methods), given that the book I am working on this summer is about teaching kids how to do algebra without telling them that it is algebra. There's some nice kind of symmetry about this whole thing.

1 comment:

Tam said...

That's kind of fun. I would enjoy the task of doing a bunch of middle school algebra (kind of like all my wish-fulfillment dreams of waking up back in school - all levels - or my fantasy of waking up as a 7-year-old but with the knowledge I have today).