Saturday, March 22, 2008

My Heart Leaps Up When I Behold

The ultra-soft and fluffy brown patch of fur on the nape of Leo's neck.

Against the backdrop of a perfectly clear blue sky, a male cardinal with the morning sun setting his red breast aglow.

Freshly baked bread or cookies.

Groucho making an entrance.

Any reference to a brass lantern or an elvish sword of great antiquity.

UPDATE: The title refers to the first line of Wordsworth's classic poem on the miracle of everyday things (with the typical focus on the natural world). I was surprised Robert didn't recognize it, given that he had an English literature teacher who was inordinately fond of the Romantic poets.

I mentioned that the theme was not unusual, but I was always pleased to see that he made the point in such a short poem. Robert said that Walt Whitman would have made this point into an entire book. "But Whitman would not have limited himself to just talking about a rainbow" I said, thinking of a critic I read once who said that Whitman at his worst sounds like a grocery list. "Well, maybe rainbows in its more modern sense" he said.

So perhaps Whitman could have done something with:
My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow decal on your car.

No comments: