Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Unkindness of Silk

I was surprised to read in this description of silk farming in Cambodia that the silkworms are killed in the process - "You have to kill the silkworms before they hatch; otherwise, they'll bust the single continuous fiber, many meters long, that makes one strand of silk. So you boil them alive, or dry them on a hot metal sheet in the sun. Then you carefully unwind that single strand, and bundle it together with 40-50 other strands to make a single silk thread." It's not so much that I would have assumed that silk farming would be any kind of humane industry, especially in a phenomenally poor country, but I had never considered what was involved in making silk.

Considering that silk is much more expensive and less strong/durable than manmade fiber substitutes, I have not purchased silk clothing for myself. Reading about the cruelty aspect of silk production now gives me the opportunity to define my no-silk lifestyle as an act of moral rectitude rather than cheap-ass-hood. Of course, given that I have nearly zero credibility in the anti-animal-cruelty arena (aside from ridiculously catering to my own pet bunny's comfort, which doesn't really count), I cannot quite manage to view my pragmatic decision in that way. However, the killing silkworm angle does give yet another reason to avoid silk when cruelty-free alternatives are so easily available.

I am sufficiently concerned about animal cruelty that I wish I had the wherewithal to be a vegetarian. I'm not saying that it would be impossible for me, if I valued it more highly, but given my current state of concern about cruelty vs. the cost, inconvenience, and day-to-day health requirements, I have not done so. I don't mean that vegetarianism is unhealthy, though I think it can be harder to maintain a healthy vegetarian diet than one in which lean meat is used as a primary protein source; I just have not personally had good luck blending vegetarianism with eating adequate protein to keep my blood sugar steady. I have managed to go about two days on a vegetarian diet before crashing, and eating enough plant-based protein to keep that from happening requires a caloric intake level that guarantees weight gain, which I definitely do not need. (According to nutritiondata.com, the calories per g of protein for some common foods are: chicken breast - 5.2; tofu - 7.5; egg - 10.0; black beans - 18.5; peanut butter - 23.6.)

The issue of cost is more relevant for buying cruelty-free meat and to date, I have not made it a financial priority to do that. (Though I admit that Buddy's chicken, for example, tastes really good.) One problem for me as a consumer is that meat that is sold as cruelty-free is also touted as "natural" since it is produced without antibiotics and hormones or the use of genetically modified foods (which I either do not care about or view as sort of actively silly to be concerned about), making the product much more expensive; this means that I have to pay a premium for something I don't value. (This article, example, states that the cost of organic cattle feed is up to 30% more than genetically modified feed.)

Also, though I recognize that the costs of keeping animals in more comfortable environments than your typical factory situation are legitimately higher, I suspect that the final product sells at a price that more than offsets the true costs. It is known that "fair trade" coffee, for example, is purchased from producers by a few extra cents and then sold to consumers at much more inflated prices because buying fair trade coffee sends "two messages" to the retailer (in the words of economist Tim Harford from his book The Undercover Economist): "One message interested them very little - 'I think fair trade coffee is a product that should be supported.' The second message is the one that they were straining to hear - 'I don't really mind paying a bit extra.'" This is called "third degree price discimination" in economic jargon - finding a way to segment your customers on the basis of their willingness to pay and extracting more money from those who are willing to pay more. But I am not willing to pay more. I do not want to give away any of my consumer surplus. So unless/until I know that the people selling "natural" meat are not laughing their way to the bank at my expense, I am leery of forking over the extra money.

I am very familiar with (and never tire of marveling at) the practice of people purchasing natural, organic, etc., foods and other products as a way of telegraphing to others that they have so much money that they can easily afford to spend more on these products, although the ostensible concern is for health and the environment.

The commonly given argument that organic foods are healthier does not appear to bear up well to scientific scrutiny (e.g., a review of 400 scientific papers concludes that "While there is no doubt that organic food is more “natural” than conventional food, “natural” on the other hand does not mean benign" and "There is currently no evidence to support or refute claims that organic food is safer and thus, healthier, than conventional food, or vice versa"; see Organic Food: Buying More Safety or Just Peace of Mind? A Critical Review of the Literature. By: Magkos, Faidon; Arvaniti, Fotini; Zampelas, Antonis. Critical Reviews in Food Science & Nutrition, Jan/Feb2006, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p23-56). The environmental value of organic farming has also been called into question (see this interesting article from Australian science magazine COSMOS for a review).

I wonder how many fervent organic shoppers are simply misguided about the relative risks and benefits of conventional versus organic food and would, if the empirical evidence demonstrated conclusively that the supposed health benefits were pretty much nothing, switch back to regular groceries, and how many would continue to purchase organic for the psychological and social intangibles of status and "feeling good."

(A really fascinating example of environmentalism as status symbol is the failure of the Honda Civic hybrid vehicle to compete against the Prius, which has been shown from market research to stem from the huge problem that the Honda Civic hybrid looked too much like a normal car to exude the image of "cool" and "environmentally hip" that the Prius does. This 2004 article in the Washington Post is a must-read on the topic, though it made me very nostalgic for $2/gallon gasoline.)

Basically, I am really looking forward to a time when synthetic meat is commonly commercially available. While this may be the utter opposite of what the "natural foods" movement stands for (if some people are already living in terror of genetically modified corn and rice, lab-grown meat is likely to be especially scary, and we can count on the activist population to stir up fear, especially among the scientifically illiterate who are less capable of assessing the risks and benefits in a more-or-less rational fashion) and I don't know how relatively palatable synthetic meat would be, it would certainly simplify the moral dilemma of eating.

4 comments:

rvman said...

50 dead silkworms per thread.

In my view 'organic' is irrelevant to the quality or environmental safety of a product, so I generally don't buy it, except by accident. (In my opinion, the higher yield per acre of non-organic food more than offsets the environmental effects of what makes it non-organic. More organic food directly causes more habitat loss.


"Locally grown", however, tends to be a good marker - the tastier fruits, especially, tend not to travel well, and harvest closer to ripeness tends to improve flavors, as well. (Hence my irregular trips to the farmers' market.)

I don't mind the third degree price discrimination on goods where my consumer surplus from that good exceeds it that from my alternatives. If it were really worth it, I'd give them their money. It isn't, to me, though - I don't care quite so much about factory farming as to value free range chickens. (I'm not so coldly calculating that I would prefer factory-chicken because they would welcome death if they knew their choices. That poor free-range chicken, ripped untimely from a pleasant life.)

Anonymous said...

Here is the hyperlink to an article about a study in Great Britian that claims that organic is better. Not that I agree - it just adds to the confusion as far as I am concerned.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/
tol/news/uk/health/article
2753446.ece

Sally said...

Mom, thanks for the link. I'll be curious to see what comes out of the peer-reviewed journals on these experiments. Controlled experiment is the only way to get any real sense of what is going on.

The literature now is pretty mixed on the subject, with various studies finding organic or conventional foods having more nutrition value and a lot of differences based on which particular foods are included. Talking about 'organic' vs. 'conventional' food is kind of awkward, given that the methods used in both cases vary so much. It may be that there are particular factors that increase nutrients that are only vaguely linked to the general definition of 'organic' (as specified by the government). It will be interesting to see how/when the scientists work through all of that.

For me, at this point the burden of proof is definitely on the side of the pro-organic. There is so much rhetoric used by those who favor organic that does not depend on any kind of scientific proof (and, indeed, sometimes outright lies about the facts to make a political case) that I am immediately skeptical. It's sort of like how alternative medicine usually ends up relying on some mystical and/or vague description of what is happening because they don't have scientific evidence to back them up - this underscores to me that the scientific case does not exist and that at least some of the people promoting organic are not in favor due to any "real" advantage in terms of health or environmental impact. We have all seen how the organic activists can always fall back on the idea that organic is "better" on the basis of some nebulous "community values" basis or whatnot. Ultimately, it is not about the actual health benefits to a significant minority (at least) of those who favor it.

This may turn out to be a situation where some very wacky pro-organic people were right for the wrong reasons, of course. I'm waiting for the science. Others may choose for themselves to do it because it offers peace of mind, the extra expense is insignificant enough to them to eat organic on the chance that it is better, have social signaling reasons to do so, or whatever. More power to 'em, as a personal choice. But the idea that doing so is the mark of moral superiority and the desire to force this choice on everyone else, as evidenced by the activist element, is annoying at best.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that about silkworms. I do have a couple silk scarves and sweaters. :( On the organic food debate... frankly when it comes to chemicals and such, history has shown an amazing naivety to the long term effects of various "safe" or even "healthy" practices. A very good friend's mother dying of cancer from medical treatments that involved large repeated doses of radiation (before they figured out that was bad) is just one extreme example. So I take the opposite stance and favor organic. I would love to see the prices come more in line, but since I do believe in the health impact (and also in whacky stuff like yoga and meditation), I consider the extra cost an investment in my body -- which is the most important thing I have.