Monday, October 8, 2007

Umleitung

It was nice of the people at the university to place a sign with "Detour" and an arrow showing that I should turn right at the point where they blocked my street and the only possible way to go at that point was right. But really, after sending us off into what appeared to me, given that I have zero knowledge of any other streets in town but the ones I drive on directly to the parking lot, into the fucking boonies, it would have been really nice if any other detour sign had ever appeared. Like ever. Fortunately, I was able to use a general feeling of "the campus is that way" and my tried-and-true "when in doubt, follow another car" heuristic (which this morning became at one point "follow the university bus") to good effect. (It felt incredibly lucky to me, and I fear that I won't be able to replicate it with such ease tomorrow morning.) Which was apparently more than most people, since the parking lot was about 1/3 as full as usual. I got really turned around trying to get back to the highway after class and demonstrated that though my driving and navigational abilities are both mediocre, they are flat-out bad in combination. At least I got to learn that there are a number of mysteriously one-way streets just south of campus, but I don't find this knowledge worth the pain-in-the-ass it was to learn.

1 comment:

rvman said...

The repairs are supposed to be finished in three days, according to the TXstate website. So, theoretically, Thursday SHOULD be back to normal. I suspect Monday is a more realistic expectation.

If they have to do road work that is supposed to take three days, why, next to a college campus with classes four days a week, make it Monday-Wednesday instead of Friday through Sunday? Even Wednesday through Friday would be better.