Sunday, October 7, 2007

TGI...Whatever

I wrote the notes for this entry in the library on Thursday but only now have gotten around to posting it.

I almost never studied at the library at Rice, but I am enjoying it at Bobcat High. Lugging all my stuff with me is kind of a pain but having a huge desk not already piled up with stuff is nice and the distractions are minimal (at least when I go to one of the floors designated "quiet"; I had to move a quiet floor Thursday when a particularly confused calculus student was being helped with his homework by someone only marginally more clued in at a desk close to mine) - no Fate, golden Oreos (which I don't actually eat but that do call my name), bunny rabbits, or phone calls from Robert's girlfriend at "Gifts com."

Obviously I like Thursdays because that is the last day of my class week, but I do not actually spend all day Friday eating bon bons and watching tivo'ed episodes of "Law & Order: IRS Investigating People Who Accidentally Screwed Up Their Personal Income Tax Returns and Cheated the Government Out Of Under $200 Unit" or "CSI: Wichita Falls" because I do not have a tivo, I do not have any cable "Crime Television Outlandishly Overstretched Franchise Channel," and I am not sure what a bon bon is (chocolate candy?).

Going home on Wednesday, I was stopped at a light behind someone with a "Celebrate Diversity" bumper sticker that I stared at for a while, then looked up at the street sign for University and was like, hmmm, university, diversity, one, two. The relationship between these words is weak and ancient, but exists according to my dictionary - both come ultimately from the Latin for turn. (Uni- is Latin and Di- is Greek, incidentally).

This week in my marketing class, the professor's cell phone rang twice, thus further damaging his credibility where "professional behavior" is concerned (he had stipulated that cell phones should be turned off or put on vibrate as part of his ground rules). The second time, he commented that he was having trouble turning it off and while he was fumbling with the phone, another cell phone started to ring and a girl had to dig into her purse and try to get it to stop also. This was funnier than it might seem. (He has difficulty unlocking the door to the classroom every morning too, which always causes someone within my vision to roll their eyes at someone else. I just think we should all take the opportunity at those moments to be glad that he decided to become a college marketing professor, which he does just fine with, and not a surgeon.)

I got a 100 on my psychology essay test, demonstrating once again how much more reliably (albeit in this case with a lot more preparation) one can get a high score on an essay test versus a multiple choice test. Just now Robert gave me my mail, which included my grade report from my UT calc class. So yay, I have my A and will not have to have anything more to do with UT ... until I need to request a transcript.

1 comment:

Tam said...

All things considered, and in a standard classroom testing situation, would you rather take an essay test or a multiple choice test?