Monday, February 5, 2018

Snow Day

#NatureTwinning Part 26: This post is brought to you by over 12" of snow falling in under 12 hours

Pink and White Flowers--Monday, 1/22/18

The weather forecast had been for a significant amount of snow, right up until late Sunday night/Monday morning, when they said that the heaviest snow was going to fall south of us.  So everybody went to school, went to work, and then got themselves caught in snow drifts.  Robert had dropped me off at work, but was unable to come pick me up because he, along with every other car in our neighborhood, got stuck in the snow...for a couple hours.  Eventually a critical mass of roving shovelers (5 dudes) worked on his car and got it out.

By that time, I had gotten a ride home from my office mate (we did NOT get stuck! hurrah all wheel drive).  She dropped me off where my neighborhood begins (the last point where traffic had removed snow so the streets were driveable), so I ended up walking the last several blocks.  In this outfit below, only with my short snow boots on.  Carrying all my stuff from work.  Without a hat or gloves.  While the wind blew and snow came down and sideways and covered my hair and glasses with ice.  Or I should say, further covered my hair and glasses with ice because I'd gotten pretty wet and cold walking across the parking lot at work and helping to brush the snow and scrape the ice from my office mate's car.  Walking home, I got in drifts up to my knees a couple of times.  But since my other option had been to walk the entire way home from work (!), it wasn't too bad all things considered.

When Robert got his car moving again, he parked it on a day plow route street.  And we had a couple shots of celebratory scotch.

The next morning, we got up at 6:30 and went to down to dig his car out from that spot (where more snow had fallen), and after about an hour, he was able to move it to a night plow route street, which had been cleared over night.

Luckily, school for Tuesday had been called off the night before.  But unfortunately, many school buses had gotten stuck in snow also, so the last kids in the district got delivered home around midnight.  There was a lot of sniping in the press about why school wasn't called off, but a local meteorologist set the record straight (for those who were listening), saying that at the time the superintendent made the decision, they had not foreseen so much snow falling in Coldville.

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $10.53


Google image search calls this one "shrub."  I can't say they're wrong, but I was hoping for something a little more specific than that.  I wonder whether it's bougainvillea...not because I have any basis for thinking so, but simply because that's a word for a kind of flowery shrub that I associate with warm climates.

Los Angeles Arboretum

SNOW DAY--Tuesday, 1/23/18

After getting Robert's car situated, we went back in to have breakfast, then took a Pokemon Go walk around the neighborhood.  I decided to get serious this time, wearing a new quilted coat and my serious Sorel snow boots.


The pattern of the coat is reminiscent of this petunia and vinca photograph, but the view outside was decidedly not.

Missouri Botanical Garden

Here's the entrance to the neighborhood dog park, where some intrepid pet owners had shoveled a path to the gate.


It took a couple of days before my arms weren't still feeling tired from the shoveling.

No comments: