Sunday, February 25, 2018

Bedtime Hacks

#NatureTwinning Part 33

Wild Butterfly and Blue Flower at African Grasslands--Friday, 2/9/18

This blouse keeps challenging me with new ways to wear it, so I decided jeans, a navy scarf, and leopard print smoking slippers was a good Friday option.  I do ascribe to the concept that leopard print is a neutral, but admit to feeling a little twinge of happy matchy feeling when I saw that the orange-ish tone of the shoes brought out the yellow centers in the flowers.

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $28.09


Blue flowers for the win!  With a bonus (possibly painted lady) butterfly to match my shoes.

Henry Doorly Zoo

Something Tells Me--Monday, 2/12/18

Sometimes your Monday feels like it needs to be another Friday, and it's going to be all of 15 F at some warm midpoint of the day you won't be outside, so welcome to the jeans, sweater, quilted vest + scarf outfit formula.  On a sad note, when I was leaving work, I did momentarily think that it was Friday before reality came crushing back.  Waaaaah.

OCPW: $8.17


Upon seeing these palm trees...

Los Angeles Arboretum

Robert said:


I think he's right.

In other news...For fans of the "self experimentation / I did this crazy thing for a week/month/whatever so I could write a story about it" genre of news, here's one woman's experience with the bedtime routines of successful people.  Do you do any of these things on the regular?

5 comments:

Debbie said...

Reading the bedtime routines article, I laughed at this sentence: "I’ve already restructured my a.m. routine to combine the perfect blend of Barack Obama and Jennifer Aniston."

But to answer your question, my bedtime routines are something like this:
* set an alarm--this really helps me relax and not worry about not getting up in time
* set a reasonably early, but overly negotiable (oops) bedtime
* help myself get to bed at a reasonable hour by telling myself that I get to read first when I get into bed (the reading has not actually been backfiring in the past few years like one would expect)
* establish the pre-sleep ritual of--I better hang up the laundry and brush my teeth already; why didn't I do these things earlier?
* think about what I'm going to do tomorrow (in the dark, with nothing to write with), especially all the things I had planned to do today but forgot or didn't get around to (this tends to lead to staying awake waaay too long--at least I do tend to stay asleep once I fall asleep) Also, think about every other kind of thing. I love thinking--it's fun!
* use strategies to stop my thinking--I can't quite stand meditating, but doing something boring helps; lately I imagine myself writing or painting numbers from 99 backwards while saying them in Spanish

I don't consume much caffeine--just whatever's in chocolate--so I have that going for me. I've also heard that exercising late in the day can make it harder to fall asleep, but I don't find this to be true for me. Sometimes I do have to wind down from a fun event, but that's been true less often lately, either because I'm different now or because I'm going to fewer fun events?

Jen M. said...

My bedtime routine these days is usually getting my son to sleep followed by some combination of wasting time on the internet, chatting/working with the product manager on my project because we're both in too many meetings during working hours, and passing out in a chair until I wake up with enough energy to actually get ready for bed. I do have a bedtime reminder set and it helps me feel guilty about being too tired to actually go to bed. I can't sleep through the night these days anyway so maybe it's for the best I'm doing it in chunks. Soon enough baby #2 will arrive and disrupt everything, so maybe in a year or two I can work on my sleep hygiene again. :)

Sally said...

Debbie, the negotiable bedtime thing is hard. I do better getting Robert (and thus myself) to bed than I do when I'm alone--it's like I feel that Robert will stay up forever on his own so I really need to make sure he gets to sleep, but I'm of course the same way. I also have a certain set of scenarios I think about when going to bed, and with time (I would say "training" but it didn't take any actual effort for this to happen) I have developed a habit or association that thinking about those things makes me fall asleep. Weird, right?

Jen, passing out in the chair until you wake up with the energy to go to bed is a time-honored family tradition! With your baby situation, I say, Sleep when you can! It's all good sleep! :)

Debbie said...

I know, it's kind of wacky when it's easier to help someone else than ourselves!

Sally said...

Luckily Robert is back from his business trip so maybe next week I will get something close to enough sleep (!).