Sunday, February 11, 2018

Blue Light and Crunch Blockers

#NatureTwinning Part 27:  Brought to you by moto-inspired toppers

Red Crowned Crane--Wednesday, 1/24/18

Below-freezing temperatures all day means crane sweater gets obscured.  But because it wasn't that much below freezing (high of 28 F), I wore a sort of perforated sweater knit moto jacket.

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $16.40


This crane, also called the Japanese crane or Manchurian crane, is among the rarest in the world and is a symbol for luck, longevity, and fidelity.  In China, it's called the "fairy crane" or "crane of the immortals."  I thought this was a kind of sad fact:  "Because of its importance in Chinese culture, the red-crowned crane was selected by the National Forestry Bureau of the People's Republic of China as a candidate for the title of national animal of China.  This decision was deferred due to the red-crowned crane's Latin name translation as 'Japanese crane.'"

Cincinnati Zoo

Ring Tailed Lemur at Expedition Madagascar--Thursday, 1/25/18

Although this is a decidedly summery skirt, if I bundle up otherwise, it works just fine for a warmer (37 F) winter day.  I even wore one of my mid-weight vests, a moto vest in cotton fabric.  The "moto" theme of these two days was not intentional.  One of my quirks is that although I'm a fan of the style,  I only like wearing moto vests and jackets if they are not leather (or faux leather) and would therefore be useless if you were actually riding a motorcycle.  A leather jacket is just too stiff and uncomfortable for sitting at my office desk creating data visualizations.

OCPW: $7.87


Everybody loves a ring-tailed lemur, no?  I enjoyed this four minute video about how a lemur researcher turned a musician on to incorporating lemur sounds into his work.  (Scroll to the bottom and click on "Lemur Sounds + Beatboxing."

Henry Doorly Zoo

In other news...Did you hear about the new Doritos product designed especially for women?  McSweeney's takes this concept to its logical extreme.  I'm sure at least one of my readers would approve if all the chips in the vending machines at work were replaced by zero-crunch options (for men and women).

Plus: Are you guys using a blue light blocker on your phone and computer in the evenings?  I read yesterday that using one can help prevent migraines (as well as prevent insomnia and eye strain, so what's not to love here.)  On iPhone/iPad, you don't even have to install anything; just set up your Night Shift by going to Settings -> Display and Brightness -> Night Shift -> schedule from Sunset to Sunrise.  Now your phone will automatically switch to a warmer color scheme in the evening.  There are multiple options for your computer, but the one I saw highly recommended that we are using is f.lux.  You can download it for free here.  Again, it's an easy set-up and go system.

4 comments:

Mom said...

I was able to do Night Shift on my IPad. I hope it works for having less insomnia.

Sally said...

Excellent - good luck!

Debbie said...

Hmm, I immediately thought of marketing them for theatres. Women?! I never would have thought of that.

Sally said...

Theaters actually makes sense!