Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Escape from the Ice Palace

I went to work today and didn't have to cross a picket line because the teachers union settled their contract with the district early Monday morning, canceling the strike that would have started today.  The details are not yet known, but I have a bad feeling about this, as the man said.

#NatureTwinning Part 28

Displaying Peacock--Friday, 1/26/18

Simple sweater + jeans with a high contrast scarf and fun shoes (leopard print Oxfords) for easy living Friday.

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $9.39


The Los Angeles Arboretum has over 200 Indian Peafowl, a species that was initially imported by the owner of a ranch (that is now part of the arboretum) in 1879.  I think I photographed about a dozen of them over the course of our visit, never quite getting the result I desired.  But just before we left, a peacock decided to reward my diligent efforts with this glorious display.  Magnificent!

Los Angeles Arboretum

Winter Carnival Ice Palace--Monday, 1/29/18

Over the weekend, while Robert was visiting his mom in TX and seeing all the animals (rabbits at the stock show, rodeo, Fossil Rim, etc.), I took a long Pokemon Go walk and visit to the ice palace that was constructed for Winter Carnival...which I then continued to celebrate by going to work on Monday wearing a wintry black and grey outfit with a long scarf the same color as the ice palace.  What's weird to me about this is that the outfit had been pre-planned for months, well before I knew about the ice castle or had any intention of going.  One of my more inspired Reverse Inspirations of late.

OCPW: $8.03


The ice palace was actually pretty impressive.  It was fun to meander through.


I even found the ice block with the walleye frozen in it.


In other news...Historically, my desire to do an escape room has fluctuated depending on how much the idea of it triggered anxiety about being locked into a room (I realize that they will in fact let you out whenever you want).  But it was pretty much destroyed by watching the Big Bang Theory episode in which the group solves the puzzles in an escape room in 6 minutes after spending $200 for the experience.  I guess my mom and I will stick to playing the Mystery Case Files series of games, which is much less physically anxiety-producing, more challenging, cheaper, and keeps you occupied for a good bit of time.

But even less appealing than the zombie / haunted house / prison cell / science lab / pirate ship style of escape room is any of these "realistic" escape rooms!

There are a lot of candidates, but perhaps my most dreaded realistic escape room is the "in a room of strangers at a networking event where there is nothing to do or look at except talk to people you don't know and probably don't have anything obviously in common with."  Well, I mean, that or the room of cockroaches. UGH.

7 comments:

Mom said...

I love the peacock photo! Awesome that you were able to get it. Are you compiling an album of your best and favorite bird photos?

Sally said...

Thanks! I haven't been compiling one but mostly because I'm too lazy!

Jen M. said...

My team did an escape room for our team outing last year. It was fun. Luckily no one was claustrophobic. Solving one of those in 6 min is bogus (but it is a sitcom after all).

Sally said...

Jen, that's good to hear. Yeah, I also can't imagine doing it in 6 minutes--it's more that it underscored to me the possibility of disappointment.

Debbie said...

That realistic escape rooms link cracked me up. Although rather than a dry wedding, I hate keg parties.

Here are some more:
* Escape from a company event--on a boat (yes, this really happened to someone I know)
* Escape from a repetitive whiner (strategy: ask only questions that cannot be answered with negativity. Challenging!)
* Escape from unemployment/underemployment/self-destructive work environment

Sally said...

Debbie, man, that event on a boat one sounds horrible. It's like, um, did I bring my jet pack? No. Shit. How far is it to swim to shore? Oh no, too far. Can I commandeer this thing with no one noticing? Etc.

Debbie said...

Ha, commandeer the boat!