Friday, February 23, 2018

Plus Ants

#NatureTwinning Part 32

Stanley Crane at Red Rocks Antelope Yards--Wednesday, 2/7/18

Another outfit featuring the marvelous headless crane sweater.  When they said 15% off, I thought they meant 15% off the price, not off the crane!  Anyway, "headless crane" feels like some kind of weird Sleepy Hollow mashup between Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman.

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $15.48


Not to be confused with the railroad executive with the same name, this Stanley crane (aka Blue crane aka paradise crane aka Grus paradisea aka Anthropoides paradisea) is the national bird of South Africa.  I know it's just a trick of the light, but this one looks like it has cataracts or cloudy blind eyes or some kind of strange zombie eyes...or maybe it's a statue.

St Louis Zoo

Fire Ants From Fallout 3--Thursday, 2/8/18

This fun blazer purchased at one of the thrift store 88 cent sales I attended with my mom is still going strong.  Even though I am a sucker for a tipped blazer, for my style, it's a bit distinctive/memorable for frequent wearing, but it doesn't take much (like, really, one wear) for the 88 cents to be worth it.  Purchased in December 2014, worn 5 times, cost per wear = $0.18.

OCPW: $7.04


I have been completely unable to figure out what part of the garden these fire ant sculptures are from or any information about them (both the garden's own website and Google image search have let me down.  Google's best guess for this image? "Animal."  Um, thanks?).

My sense it that in some parts of the garden, they do seasonal displays, so perhaps this one was up for a while, then disappeared.

In any case, of course they reminded me of the fire ants in Fallout 3, just not as ugly or as dangerous.

Missouri Botanical Gardens

In other news...This Buzzfeed article about what plus size clothes look like on actual plus size women was amusing.  The snarky commentary is spot on.  It's weird how even the texture of the clothing looks totally different (i.e., acceptably matte rather than superhero shiny) on the models.  We know they photoshop the hell out of the pictures in online stores, but it's clearly even more all-encompassing than I'd imagined.

4 comments:

Mom said...

“My butt looks like it has a mouth hungry for denim.” That made me laugh - a lot!!

Sally said...

LOL, yeah, that was a good one :)

Debbie said...

I liked, "That's a real nice body you've got there. It'd be a shame if we made it look like a misshapen eggplant."

Sally said...

Debbie, yes, it's not clear that there is any misshapen vegetable that would be a positive, but something about an eggplant (a disgusting veg under ideal scenarios) is especially unfortunate.